TOPIC: BT Broadband problems

BT Broadband problems 20 Aug 2013 13:14 #1

• andyh
  • ZONED OUT
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Rank6
  • Thank you received: 3545
advanced-television.com/2013/08/15/bt-vision-will-fail/

I have to laugh at this guys description of a tech support call, lol!!!

'And, yes, you guessed, I do speak from personal experience. When BT last upgraded my broadband, the engineer fitted an outdated connection cover that failed within a day. This was cheerfully pointed by the next engineer who eventually arrived two days later, and that was only after the kind of thermonuclear demands for better service that are exhausting for both me and the poor guys stuck, powerless, in an information-free zone somewhere in India.
Today my broadband failed at 09.30. Just stopped. I called up and was led through a human-free check-list and warned not to try and speak to anyone before completing all the power-off, re-boot stuff I’d already done. The last thing on the list is to call a number to see if there is a problem in the area. There wasn’t, it said. They then invite you to call the number that, if you have done it before, you know leads to a call centre in India. I have called it before and still have flashbacks of the aching silences between myself and my interlocutor as we wordlessly digest that his employer has left him utterly unable to help me.
So I don’t call, I’d rather just leave it half an hour and see what happens. Nothing happens. So I go through the whole checklist again but this time the recorded message says there is a problem in my area and it will be fixed in two hours time. At midday I try reconnecting. Nada. I go straight to the service update line and, guess what, it says they know there is a problem and it will be fixed in two hours time. That’s just insulting.
I ring the help line and am told, of course, ‘we are very busy’, why don’t I try all these other useless things I’ve already done. No, I’ll hold. OK, your call will be answered in five to ten minutes. Better not to tell me that if it isn’t true. Fourteen minutes later, Darshan picks up and after some security questions, (why would I care if someone else was going through the hell of fixing my broadband for me?), goes off for several minutes to find out what’s going on. Comes back, tells me there is a problem, the engineers are working on it and it could be 24 hours before it is fixed.
I remain polite, if a little cold, in my attitude. A. That’s appalling. B. Why has your company ruined my working day by lying about it being fixed in two hours – I could have gone and found some broadband elsewhere? Darshan sympathises and says they cannot get an exact estimate – they are technical help, this is network. No, there’s no way I can talk to network. And the 24 hours is a maximum. Does that mean the 24 hours is a worst case guess they have to tell me because they don’t know? Yes. I ask him to get a manager. Then I get cut off.
To be fair he calls back and a few minutes later he produces a manager. I repeat the Darshan conversation, he says he will see what he can find out. Five minutes later he returns and says broadband will be back on at 2pm, by now it’s 1.45pm. He apologises and tends to agree that this isn’t a great display of customer service and yes, he can imagine what it would feel like if this happened during a much prized piece of television. At 1.48pm the broadband returns.
What is the point of spending hundreds of millions on content when a few tens of millions spent on decent customer service would perhaps be as effective in engendering loyalty. Certainly, the content money is wasted if delivery support is that dire. BT Vision has consistently topped the pay-TV service provider complaints league with six times as many complaints as the average. Doesn’t anyone care? Are the poor cousins of customer service so far down the food chain at BT that they have as much chance of grabbing the attention of the C Suites on their way to more top sporting hospitality as a subscriber has of reaching a human being who can help them in customer services?'

This is why the likes of Zen piss on the rest. An extra tenner a month is deffo worth it IMHO.
“Fascists are not human. A snake is more human.” - Hugo Chávez
You must register to post here.

BT Broadband problems 20 Aug 2013 13:54 #2

• wake_up_bomb
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
  • Thank you received: 4418
A few years ago when I first moved to a new flat, BT made so many fuck ups with turning the phone line on that they eventually gave me a free phone line for two years. I had to keep taking a day off work to meet the engineer, but there was some fuck up with the postcode, and they failed to turn it on every single time. It was at least six times, I can't quite remember what occurred, I've tried to blank it out of my mind. Obviously, it was impossible for me to phone them, but I tried to raise issues with complaints departments and got absolutely nowhere, probably owing to the fact that they've got thousands of other complaints to deal with. The only way I got it sorted out was by acquiring an email address for the CEO of BT at that time - whose name, Ben Verwaayen, I will never forget - and writing an email outlining exactly what had happened, and threatening retribution (not that I can do anything to them). Surprisingly it got sorted out then, and they gave me enough credit to last over two years as compensation. I think I read that Verwaayen received £5 million as a pay-off when he left BT.
The true measure of a man is not his intelligence or how high he rises in this freak establishment. The true measure of a man is this: how quickly he can respond to the needs of others and how much of himself he can give - Philip K. Dick.

BT Broadband problems 20 Aug 2013 15:26 #3

• andyh
  • ZONED OUT
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Rank6
  • Thank you received: 3545
wake_up_bomb wrote:
A few years ago when I first moved to a new flat, BT made so many fuck ups with turning the phone line on that they eventually gave me a free phone line for two years. I had to keep taking a day off work to meet the engineer, but there was some fuck up with the postcode, and they failed to turn it on every single time. It was at least six times, I can't quite remember what occurred, I've tried to blank it out of my mind. Obviously, it was impossible for me to phone them, but I tried to raise issues with complaints departments and got absolutely nowhere, probably owing to the fact that they've got thousands of other complaints to deal with. The only way I got it sorted out was by acquiring an email address for the CEO of BT at that time - whose name, Ben Verwaayen, I will never forget - and writing an email outlining exactly what had happened, and threatening retribution (not that I can do anything to them). Surprisingly it got sorted out then, and they gave me enough credit to last over two years as compensation. I think I read that Verwaayen received £5 million as a pay-off when he left BT.
I've tried to blank it out of my mind

^ LOL! :p

Its ridiculous the way things have gone, when its that bad that you're actually willing to suffer with no service at all rather than bother complaining about it.
“Fascists are not human. A snake is more human.” - Hugo Chávez

BT Broadband problems 20 Aug 2013 16:35 #4

• wake_up_bomb
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
  • Thank you received: 4418
andyh wrote:
Its ridiculous the way things have gone, when its that bad that you're actually willing to suffer with no service at all rather than bother complaining about it.
I did complain, it just didn't make any difference! I looked up Ofcom, but as far as I remember they wouldn't even look at a case until three months had passed since the original order was made. It took them six weeks to complete the job properly and that was only because I contacted the CEO, otherwise I have no doubt whatsoever that nothing would ever have happened.

It's just because they have all these 'automated' systems, which are fine if everything runs according to plan, but if anything goes wrong and some sort of human insight or intervention is required, they're bloody useless. BT is also a crazy organisation where they contract out all their physical work to Openreach, but no-one from BT and Openreach can apparently communicate with each other directly, due to the brilliant automated systems, and call centre set-up, which does everything for you without any need for human contact. Except when it doesn't work.

Edit: actually this is on Wikipedia:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openreach#Accountability
Phone line customers who have problems cannot directly contact Openreach and have to go indirectly through their reseller despite Openreach's perceived ownership of the copper infrastructure. This raises the question of who Openreach are accountable to when there is neither transparency nor clear incentive to provide consistently good customer service levels.

Edit 2: actually, I slightly exaggerated about Ofcom, it's eight weeks:

consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/changing-provider/
Contact your provider’s customer services department and explain your problem.

If this doesn’t resolve the issue, make a formal complaint to the company. You should find details of how to do this on the back of your bill, on their website or ask their customer services.

If your provider is unable to resolve your complaint, ask for a deadlock letter. This enables you to take your complaint to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme.

ADRs act as an independent middleman and will examine the case from both sides and reach a decision they think fair. If eight weeks have passed since you first formally complained you can contact the ADR directly.
But you can see written on the Ofcom website numerous times "we can't investigate individual cases". So pretty useful to have a regulatory agency that can't investigate anything.
The true measure of a man is not his intelligence or how high he rises in this freak establishment. The true measure of a man is this: how quickly he can respond to the needs of others and how much of himself he can give - Philip K. Dick.
Last Edit: 20 Aug 2013 16:47 by wake_up_bomb.
  • Page:
Moderators: psketti, oioioi, batou
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds

Latest Members Blogs

Prev Next

What is going on when it comes to 9-11 I…

The EPA (environmental protection agency) and OSHA took air samples in the days following September 11th, they reported that they found no excessive levels of asbestos contrary to other findings....

Read more

9-11 Eleven Years Later

9-11 Eleven Years Later

With the anniversary of September 11th literally just around the corner, unanswered questions still remain for families who lost loved ones during the tragic event, as well as from families...

Read more

Strange Noises, Possible Link to Mass An…

Strange Noises, Possible Link to Mass Animal Deaths

In 2008 the U.S. Supreme Court agreed to review a series of lower court rulings that restrict the United States Navy's use of sonar in submarine detection training exercises off...

Read more

Annual Server Target

Whether its 50 cents or five dollars, your donations are appreciated and help keep this community site running so we can all continue to enjoy using it.
This target is to meet our server cost for one year, June 2020 - May 2021, in USD.
$ 340 - Target
( £ 250 GBP )
donation thermometer
donation thermometer
$ 192 - Raised
( £ 140 GBP )
donation thermometer
56%
Most Recent Donation:
$122 USD on 4th Jan 2021
Bitcoin Address: bc1q0kazqya0nurfxtunxv807vm0m8852nnrrk8mj8

Ethereum Address: 0xe69915c80dd75df19f438d556267e04f932f057d

More Info: Donation options for TZ

No one is obliged to donate, please only donate what you can afford. Even the smallest amount helps. Being an active member is a positive contribution. Thank You.

TradeZone Latest

Visitors

Today181
Yesterday214
Week1698
Month5598
Total588217

Your IP Address: 18.224.95.38 Your Browser and OS: Unknown - Unknown Sunday, 28 April 2024 18:10