• Page:

TOPIC: Tasers

Tasers 04 Oct 2016 20:24 #1

• Space Bandit
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
  • Thank you received: 2275
Conductive electrical device - (Taser is a brand name.)

Few notes I made after doing a some digging about them..... can't be arsed to structure it properly, sorry! But some good information.

Matilda MacAttram, director of Black Mental Health UK (BMH UK

“Tasering patients on locked psychiatric wards raises serious human rights concerns.
“The United Nations (UN) Committee Against Torture (CAT) has stated that Taser X26 weapons provoke extreme pain, and constitute a form of torture.
“There is little point in the UK being a signatory to UN treaties like the UN Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment, if the protections that they afford are not extended to the most vulnerable in our society.  You do not monitor human rights abuses – you stop them,
www.disabilitynewsservice.com/mps-back-a...mental-health-wards/

Killing them Safely – A social awareness film

'Founder - The American Dream – a few guys starting up an idea and building up to selling hundreds of thousands of products
Tasers have a monopoly currently on law enforcement markets
When questioned about people who have died after being tasered the company's stance is that there is no medical evidence to suggest that tasers are responsible for their deaths.
Police found it difficult to obtain data and statistics about tasers. Most of the information was held by Taser International.
Product liability lawyer mentions propaganda campaign about the safety and risk free product before being asked to produce thousands of these products worldwide. Propaganda included 'no effect on cardiac pumping'

Deployed in 100 countries
16,000 agencies
530000 units deployed
75000 saves from injury or death
2500000 human exposures
300 medical studies

Alternatives to Tazers
Weapon that squirts out sticky substance
Lasers that disorientate

Metabolic acidosis causes bodily Ph levels to fall which can cause cardiac problems.
Prolonged or repeated exposure to Tazers carries a greater risk as the levels involved become more significant.
Were the studies carried out thorough enough in their investigations into Tazer exposure? Made no measure of blood physiology during tests and only exposed volounteers to taser bursts of 5sec. Experimented on healthy people with no medical conditions or under influence of drugs.
Sgt Darren Laur approved the use of the taser for his dept based on literature he received from the company – he also had an undisclosed financial arrangement with Taser int.

Agencies relying on medical data provided by the company
Dr Douglas Zipes is one of the world's leading experts in cardiac behaviour concluded that tasers can increase heart rates by up to 4-600 times per minute.
Dr Patrick Tchou had been picked by Taser int to conduct research into the effects of Tazers and cardiac behaviour. He discovered by tests on swine that 'cardiac capture' was possible. By 2006 the papers on the study were published, meaning that from this point on, Taser int were aware that there was some risk.
Safety record revised down to 99.75% - no significant injury. Rising use means 0.25% significant injuries to more people. 1/400.
Braidwood enquiry concluded that Tazers can cause deaths. Taserz int disputes the claims.

Tazer int changed target area away from chests.

Problems:
Poor research leading to safety failures
Culture of capitalism. American dream. Make lots of money and you are a success. Tom Smith left Taser Int in 2013 he made $40million in company shares alone. Taser expected to generate $176m in 2015, although this extends to other Taser products such as Officer cameras.
Commerce is able to licence the products based on its own non scientific self referencing and ultimately self serving product information.
Monopoly. Patents industry.
Creation of a weapon which can be used by perpetrtors rather than law enforcement.
'We're protecting the future and we're protecting lives' – is this logical? Dr Spock – 'The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few'. We're not Vulcans.
Problems swept under the rug for profit motivation – deaths have seen decrease in deployment in Countries such as British Columbia. There was no subsequent rise in injury or officer arrests. Other agencies in USA have also reported zero change in these statistics when Tasers have been removed from police armoury. Taser still claim that an officer is able to arrest a suspect when they are at risk of violence every 4 minutes.
Chain of command in conjunction with conflicts of interest
Never looked at by any electrical standards body
Weapon deployed on children and mentally ill
Police using weapons as a default method of subduing individuals
Over zealous use by law enforcement for petty crimes
Cuts in services leading to law enforcement being involved in medical and psychiatric settings.
Set the controls for the heart of the earth.
You must register to post here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: psketti, cantata, Hexhammer

Tasers 05 Oct 2016 11:42 #2

• Hexhammer
  • ZONED OUT
  • Expert Boarder
  • Rank4
  • Thank you received: 1129
I find those damn things scary as heck...

Funny that seeing a cop with a glock isn't weird at all as Finnish cops don't shoot people, but a cop with a taser, I will stay the hell away from them. I've heard too many bad tales about those things. I have once got a shock from a electric water pump, the usual 230V current which can kill youl if you get unlucky and I can tell you that it was one of the most horrifying and painful experiences I've had. From what I know, taser blast feels even worse as the voltage is much higher. (Although they should have quite low power as they're supposed to be "non-lethal.")
The things you leave behind, you find in front of you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cantata

Tasers 05 Oct 2016 13:51 #3

• psketti
  • ZONED OUT
  • Hired help
  • Rankadmin
  • we cant stop here, this is dog country
  • Thank you received: 5668
There's a yearly report somewhere online which lists all deaths from tazer related incidents, not sure where at the moment but I'll have a dig about sometime and see if I find it.
If memory serves me correct, quite a large number of those deaths aren't actually caused by the tazer but by an underlying illness or disease the person had and is triggered when they're fired at....or at least that's what the cause of death ends up listed as I'm guessing?
But this is just mindboggling really as there's no way the filth could know any of these things so are basically playing russian roulette everytime they use one.

But hey, it's for the publics safety.
the anorak hides the fact that sean is composed of 95% vaginas
Last Edit: 05 Oct 2016 13:52 by psketti.

Tasers 05 Oct 2016 16:32 #4

• wake_up_bomb
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
  • Thank you received: 4418
psketti wrote:
If memory serves me correct, quite a large number of those deaths aren't actually caused by the tazer but by an underlying illness or disease the person had and is triggered when they're fired at....or at least that's what the cause of death ends up listed as I'm guessing?
I always find this a very unconvincing argument. None of these people died of their 'underlying condition' prior to having thousands of volts of electricity shot through them. You tend to notice if people have died of an underlying condition because they just die without the intervention of police zapping them with a taser. Is it supposed to be some sort of consolation to loved ones that they had an underlying condition?

I accept that the police have to deal with some very difficult situations, but look how often these things are being used now.
The true measure of a man is not his intelligence or how high he rises in this freak establishment. The true measure of a man is this: how quickly he can respond to the needs of others and how much of himself he can give - Philip K. Dick.
Last Edit: 05 Oct 2016 16:33 by wake_up_bomb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cantata, Hexhammer

Tasers 05 Oct 2016 17:31 #5

• Space Bandit
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
wake_up_bomb wrote:
psketti wrote:
I always find this a very unconvincing argument. None of these people died of their 'underlying condition' prior to having thousands of volts of electricity shot through them. You tend to notice if people have died of an underlying condition because they just die without the intervention of police zapping them with a taser. Is it supposed to be some sort of consolation to loved ones that they had an underlying condition?

I accept that the police have to deal with some very difficult situations, but look how often these things are being used now.

The official number of deaths attributed to it in the UK is 17 iirc.
How many more is uncertain because obviously the coroner wasn't recording that as the cause of death..... which as you rightly point out, is entirely specious.

Tasers 05 Oct 2016 20:26 #6

• cantata
  • ZONED OUT
  • Expert Boarder
  • Rank4
  • Thank you received: 1123
What we need is some little skinny geeky nerd, currently sitting in his/her bedroom wasting time hacking nuclear activation sites for fun, to invent a Reflector. Probably cobbled out of copper wire and tap-washers, it would look like a "Celeb Badge" worn on the lapel; but would really draw taser fire to it and re-direct it along its own trajectory.... right back to the hand that was using the taser.

That would be good. :)
There is no such thing as Thin Air: Thin Air is full of the particles of creation.

Take something that costs you nothing but effort;
And practice, practice, practice until you make it something fabulous.

"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
If he undaunted be....". (Beowulf)....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Bandit

Tasers 05 Oct 2016 22:07 #7

• Space Bandit
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
My mate was telling me about when he was in a pub once..... and it was this guy he knew having a birthday.... his mrs came in and gave him a box, and inside was a taser.
This guy then proceeded to chase people round the pub all night electrocuting them, until eventually the battery pack fell out. As he was putting it back in he managed to shoot himself and the taser flew up in the air and smashed into pieces on the floor, much to the delight of my pal.

Tasers 06 Oct 2016 08:09 #8

• Black Cloud
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
  • Go Boil An Egg....
  • Thank you received: 1227
fascinating
I Speak Four Languages Sarcasm English Profanity, And Real Shit...

When we hang the capitalists they will sell us the rope we use.
Joseph Stalin
Last Edit: 06 Oct 2016 08:11 by Black Cloud.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cantata, Space Bandit

Tasers 06 Oct 2016 09:16 #9

• Space Bandit
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
That's great... but who is gonna start buying all their clothes with Taser protection or buy the stuff to add to their clothes just in case they go out & get tasered?

As soon as it was discovered that tasers are potentially deadly they should have been taken off the market. The product no longer meets the criteria.
Being a torture device they should probably never have been allowed in the first place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cantata, Ian2day
  • Page:
Moderators: psketti, oioioi, batou
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds