Sanctum Zone

Keyword
A+ A A-
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Self-sufficiency is the state of not requiring any aid, support, or interaction, for survival; it is therefore a type of personal or collective autonomy. The term self-sufficiency is usually applied to varieties of sustainable living in which nothing is consumed outside of what is produced by the self-sufficient individuals. Examples of attempts at self-sufficiency include simple living, homesteading, off-the-grid, survivalism, DIY ethic and the back-to-the-land movement. Practices that enable or aid self-sufficiency include autonomous building, permaculture, sustainable agriculture, and renewable energy. The term is also applied to limited forms of self-sufficiency, for example growing one's own food or becoming economically independent of state subsidies. Read more: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-sufficiency

TOPIC: The veg grower's thread

Re: The veg grower's thread 26 May 2012 14:48 #61

  • Griswald
  • Griswald's Avatar
  • ZONED OUT
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Rank0
  • Posts: 348
  • Thank you received: 133
  • Karma: 21
Putting up that video was worse than a hard day in the garden. And to be honest with you, I dont know how I did it :conf:
You must register to post here.

Re: The veg grower's thread 26 May 2012 15:30 #62

  • The Apprentice
  • The Apprentice's Avatar
  • ZONED OUT
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Rank0
  • Posts: 872
  • Thank you received: 360
  • Karma: 16
Here is some more clues as to how natural plant life regains a foothold after man has finished quarrying, in this case magnesium. limestone.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_Middleham_Quarry

Another aspect and waste of vital trace ellements our bodies can re-absorb is our own poo/humanure.
.
You must register to post here.

Re: The veg grower's thread 26 May 2012 18:54 #63

  • Griswald
  • Griswald's Avatar
  • ZONED OUT
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Rank0
  • Posts: 348
  • Thank you received: 133
  • Karma: 21
The Apprentice wrote:
Here is some more clues as to how natural plant life regains a foothold after man has finished quarrying, in this case magnesium. limestone.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_Middleham_Quarry

Another aspect and waste of vital trace ellements our bodies can re-absorb is our own poo/humanure.

Me food growing in poo..... :O

Why, you,ll be putting all the prudes off their supper , dontcha know. :hahano:

Too true, a pure waste of a valuable nutritional, natural source of materials for the garden. But what with all the nasty chemicals thrown into septic tanks, and greay water systems, we are better off sending it for treatment..................and redistributing through our drinking taps :O :O :killinme:

griswald
You must register to post here.

Re: The veg grower's thread 27 May 2012 07:08 #64

  • icke_is_right
  • icke_is_right's Avatar
  • ZONED OUT
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Rank1
  • Posts: 44
  • Thank you received: 42
  • Karma: 16
Griswald wrote:
Here,s the vid Icke,




Sorry Icke, inserting the video is not working for me. I,ll have to go off and try and discover the elusive secret of adding vid clips. See you later, maybe.

griswald

Thanks for that, the vid worked for me. I immediately wonder what the effect of drinking fine rock dust in water would be? (If possible).
You must register to post here.

Re: The veg grower's thread 27 May 2012 07:19 #65

  • icke_is_right
  • icke_is_right's Avatar
  • ZONED OUT
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Rank1
  • Posts: 44
  • Thank you received: 42
  • Karma: 16
I used to piss on my dad's tomato plants when I was younger. :sorry: I used to piss on the same one and I noticed that it grew to a far bigger size than the others. When I tell people that I gather nettles and wild food not, their immediate reaction is 'what about dog piss'. This is the least of my worries! I'm concerned about bird shit and lymes mainly. I know that the Chinese have been using their piss on plants for hundreds of years (probably faecal waste too).

Sorry that you had so much trouble putting that vid up, but it was worth it!
You must register to post here.

Re: The veg grower's thread 27 May 2012 08:12 #66

  • The Apprentice
  • The Apprentice's Avatar
  • ZONED OUT
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Rank0
  • Posts: 872
  • Thank you received: 360
  • Karma: 16
On our farm we also used lime, bassic slag, copper sulphate, spread our human poo on the land when the scess pit was emptied, sheep with their mower like teeth really do deplete the nutrients from the ground otherwise, but the clover mutton was so good.

I have told this story before but for those who missed it.

When I was a young man I once emptied a neighbours sceptic tank and spread it onto one of their high banks facing the main road there, and for a practical joke I spread the slurry in a huge format across the entire feild with the word shit, stopping and starting the tanker as I drote.

Knowing full well the grass would grow a deeper green from the watery goodness, sure enough it worked nicely, a huge deep green word in grass for every passing motorist to see on the hillside pasture.
.
Last Edit: 27 May 2012 08:42 by The Apprentice.
You must register to post here.

Re: The veg grower's thread 27 May 2012 08:47 #67

  • The Apprentice
  • The Apprentice's Avatar
  • ZONED OUT
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Rank0
  • Posts: 872
  • Thank you received: 360
  • Karma: 16
I have never seen a dog pee on nettles before but I have seen our sheep dog pee on an elecric cow fence :O
icke_is_right wrote:
I used to piss on my dad's tomato plants when I was younger. :sorry: I used to piss on the same one and I noticed that it grew to a far bigger size than the others. When I tell people that I gather nettles and wild food not, their immediate reaction is 'what about dog piss'. This is the least of my worries! I'm concerned about bird shit and lymes mainly. I know that the Chinese have been using their piss on plants for hundreds of years (probably faecal waste too).

Sorry that you had so much trouble putting that vid up, but it was worth it!
.
You must register to post here.

Re: The veg grower's thread 27 May 2012 10:15 #68

  • icke_is_right
  • icke_is_right's Avatar
  • ZONED OUT
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Rank1
  • Posts: 44
  • Thank you received: 42
  • Karma: 16
The Apprentice wrote:
I have never seen a dog pee on nettles before but I have seen our sheep dog pee on an elecric cow fence :O
icke_is_right wrote:
I used to piss on my dad's tomato plants when I was younger. :sorry: I used to piss on the same one and I noticed that it grew to a far bigger size than the others. When I tell people that I gather nettles and wild food not, their immediate reaction is 'what about dog piss'. This is the least of my worries! I'm concerned about bird shit and lymes mainly. I know that the Chinese have been using their piss on plants for hundreds of years (probably faecal waste too).

Sorry that you had so much trouble putting that vid up, but it was worth it!

No, nor have I come to think of it but it seems to be one of those group responses that just flies out of people's mouths like 'you cannot eat gold'.

I loved the story about the grass graffiti, very funny.
You must register to post here.

Re: The veg grower's thread 27 May 2012 13:58 #69

  • Griswald
  • Griswald's Avatar
  • ZONED OUT
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Rank0
  • Posts: 348
  • Thank you received: 133
  • Karma: 21
icke_is_right wrote:
Griswald wrote:
Here,s the vid Icke,




Sorry Icke, inserting the video is not working for me. I,ll have to go off and try and discover the elusive secret of adding vid clips. See you later, maybe.

griswald

Thanks for that, the vid worked for me. I immediately wonder what the effect of drinking fine rock dust in water would be? (If possible).

Well you might have something there. Since my well was finished, I drink gallons of the well water, something I never did before. And the mrs says.........I,m defintely growing.....outwards :killinme:
You must register to post here.

Re: The veg grower's thread 29 May 2012 10:55 #70

  • Griswald
  • Griswald's Avatar
  • ZONED OUT
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Rank0
  • Posts: 348
  • Thank you received: 133
  • Karma: 21
Tater plants starting to flower, I,ve never seen them flowering this early.

293rk.th


297vd.th



griswald
You must register to post here.

Re: The veg grower's thread 29 May 2012 12:25 #71

  • Griswald
  • Griswald's Avatar
  • ZONED OUT
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Rank0
  • Posts: 348
  • Thank you received: 133
  • Karma: 21
Hey apprentice,

Dont you dare where them booties in the garden now :nono:

Any chance of a larger pic of those hand made beauties, they look oh so nice :cool:

griswald
You must register to post here.

Re: The veg grower's thread 02 Jun 2012 22:24 #72

  • dubs
  • dubs's Avatar
  • ZONED OUT
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Rank0
  • Goodbye and Goodluck
  • Posts: 5408
  • Thank you received: 2474
  • Karma: 69000000
The Apprentice wrote:
Check this gardener out, marvelous.

www.charlesdowding.co.uk/

should interest DUB if he comes back.

And should you come back the app, cheers for posting this. That's an interesting site and coincidentally he's only over a couple of hills from where me mum lives :) Interesting that he mentions Blackmore Vale Media. The Blackmore Vale Magazine started in the 70s. It was a very local and very low tech (think gestetener) approach to media. Run by locals for locals it soon caught on. It went from a two sheet, inky blurred print source of info to a really valuable local resource in just a few short years. It went from strength to strength and is now an essential weekly (and free) read for pretty much everyone in the area of the Blackmore Vale. Whilst not exactly ground breaking journalistically, as a source of local news and info it's a spectacular success. Something that others could do well to look at. I've not come across anything like it anywhere else.

Now if you're reading this, get yourself back active so we can all carry on talking veg!
Last Edit: 02 Jun 2012 22:30 by dubs. Reason: extra bits
You must register to post here.

Re: The veg grower's thread 03 Jun 2012 09:48 #73

  • irrepressible
  • irrepressible's Avatar
  • ZONED OUT
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Rank0
  • Posts: 4401
  • Thank you received: 1770
  • Karma: 95
Welcome back dub :)

And where's the apprentice gone?

I can't talk about inactivation though, been there myself on occasion :emb:

:chuckle:

Anyway, as you were, gentleman :D
You must register to post here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dubs

Re: The veg grower's thread 03 Jun 2012 10:02 #74

  • Griswald
  • Griswald's Avatar
  • ZONED OUT
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Rank0
  • Posts: 348
  • Thank you received: 133
  • Karma: 21
Dub, that must have been some gardening you were doing, you,ve been gone for weeks. :chuckle: What have you done with apprentice, how long has he been awol for, its news to me. We wont get far off the radar without the likes of him. He needs to be found, and brought back here, even if it means a black bag job. He has information vital to our survival...................he knows stuff, and skills. And unless we all get skills, we will be pissing away our energy in chatrooms :O . And talking shite...oops :spank: , about shite :spank: oops, is going to do no one any use, in surviving whats to come :)

I bet he,s off in the garden working on one of them new fangdangled contraptions, that allow him to grow and transplant carrots.........and that ladies and gents, is a major achievement. So spread out and find him.

griswald
You must register to post here.

Re: The veg grower's thread 03 Jun 2012 11:30 #75

  • dubs
  • dubs's Avatar
  • ZONED OUT
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Rank0
  • Goodbye and Goodluck
  • Posts: 5408
  • Thank you received: 2474
  • Karma: 69000000
Griswald wrote:
Dub, that must have been some gardening you were doing, you,ve been gone for weeks. :chuckle:
Haha you're bang on there. With the place being put up for sale, we'd got rather disillusioned with putting lots of work into our plot. My little holiday from here gave me a chance to look at that objectively. As a result, I have indeed been spending quite a lot of time out there!
What have you done with apprentice, how long has he been awol for, its news to me. We wont get far off the radar without the likes of him. He needs to be found, and brought back here, even if it means a black bag job. He has information vital to our survival...................he knows stuff, and skills. And unless we all get skills, we will be pissing away our energy in chatrooms :O . And talking shite...oops :spank: , about shite :spank: oops, is going to do no one any use, in surviving whats to come :)
I don't know what's up with the app, like an idiot I've not got around to getting his email from him :mad:
I'd hazard a guess that he may be slightly frustrated with this place though. You are 100% correct that his skillbase is of vital import to anyone wishing to take steps towards looking after themselves. Personally, I am in total respect of him offering his experience/advice here to anyone who desires it. Perhaps he is disappointed at the apparent lack of interest :dunno:
I bet he,s off in the garden working on one of them new fangdangled contraptions, that allow him to grow and transplant carrots.........and that ladies and gents, is a major achievement. So spread out and find him.

griswald

I am sure you're right! I've no doubt he is in the man cave fettling with diabolical Shumacher tech as we type! That carrot contraption was jaw dropping. As you hit upon, transplanting the old tappy root veg is just destined to fail for most mortals. The application of simple ideas like the one he showed us is genius. Although if you're reading this app, I'm still a little confused as to why you're not content to sow and thin direct to the bed?

Best you get back here and answer my q before I start thinking you are one of them that enter their veg in village fete competitions hahahahahaha ;)
You must register to post here.

Re: The veg grower's thread 03 Jun 2012 19:39 #76

  • Griswald
  • Griswald's Avatar
  • ZONED OUT
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Rank0
  • Posts: 348
  • Thank you received: 133
  • Karma: 21
dubmeup wrote:
Griswald wrote:
Dub, that must have been some gardening you were doing, you,ve been gone for weeks. :chuckle:
Haha you're bang on there. With the place being put up for sale, we'd got rather disillusioned with putting lots of work into our plot. My little holiday from here gave me a chance to look at that objectively. As a result, I have indeed been spending quite a lot of time out there!
What have you done with apprentice, how long has he been awol for, its news to me. We wont get far off the radar without the likes of him. He needs to be found, and brought back here, even if it means a black bag job. He has information vital to our survival...................he knows stuff, and skills. And unless we all get skills, we will be pissing away our energy in chatrooms :O . And talking shite...oops :spank: , about shite :spank: oops, is going to do no one any use, in surviving whats to come :)
I don't know what's up with the app, like an idiot I've not got around to getting his email from him :mad:
I'd hazard a guess that he may be slightly frustrated with this place though. You are 100% correct that his skillbase is of vital import to anyone wishing to take steps towards looking after themselves. Personally, I am in total respect of him offering his experience/advice here to anyone who desires it. Perhaps he is disappointed at the apparent lack of interest :dunno:
I bet he,s off in the garden working on one of them new fangdangled contraptions, that allow him to grow and transplant carrots.........and that ladies and gents, is a major achievement. So spread out and find him.

griswald

I am sure you're right! I've no doubt he is in the man cave fettling with diabolical Shumacher tech as we type! That carrot contraption was jaw dropping. As you hit upon, transplanting the old tappy root veg is just destined to fail for most mortals. The application of simple ideas like the one he showed us is genius. Although if you're reading this app, I'm still a little confused as to why you're not content to sow and thin direct to the bed?

Best you get back here and answer my q before I start thinking you are one of them that enter their veg in village fete competitions hahahahahaha ;)

To me, sowing lots of seedlings , and then dumping the big end of them in the thinning process is wasteful, thats why I dont do sow, thin, and dump. Transplanting carrot seedlings has always been a non runner, as most gardeneing books I,ve read say for carrots its not productive.
Apprentices carrotator :killinme: is a godsendin the garden for all seeds, let alone the tricky carrots.. And I can see it has great potential for the novice too. You cant help but be more succesful in the garden with this. For me in the garden, its like the invention of the wheel :D it has no equal, and as apprentice is so forthcoming with his knowledge when asked, I can see why he might be a bit pissed at the lack of people identifying with his perception of the current paradigm, and what skills we need to change that, and benefit the whole in the process. I personally will take any opportunity to learn from him, or people that resonate with his ideas, as I do. Its a rare opportunity to learn fro those that can teach us the skills he has, and we should do everything to pick their brains clean :chuckle: for ourselves and the whole.. I hope he is only on a temporary sabbatical, and will come back, as we will be at a loss without his type of insight..
I dont enter local garden fetes. the only judge I have to convince is my cook :P

griswald
You must register to post here.

Re: The veg grower's thread 03 Jun 2012 20:43 #77

  • dubs
  • dubs's Avatar
  • ZONED OUT
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Rank0
  • Goodbye and Goodluck
  • Posts: 5408
  • Thank you received: 2474
  • Karma: 69000000
I do totally agree that thinning is wasteful. I think of it a bit like abortion. As a result I tend to sow on the thin side. This does add to the time it takes though. My finger skills aren't perfect so I do thin out :emb: By sowing rather thinly I do try to minimise that though. I can see the genius in the app's 'carrotator', though he really does need to get back here to stem the tide of me getting all snidey on his arse about being a closet prize veg grower :D
You must register to post here.

Re: The veg grower's thread 04 Jun 2012 00:43 #78

  • dubs
  • dubs's Avatar
  • ZONED OUT
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Rank0
  • Goodbye and Goodluck
  • Posts: 5408
  • Thank you received: 2474
  • Karma: 69000000
I see our friend is back :) WB the app, now should I go back and edit the last couple of posts I made? :D
You must register to post here.

Re: The veg grower's thread 04 Jun 2012 01:01 #79

  • The Apprentice
  • The Apprentice's Avatar
  • ZONED OUT
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Rank0
  • Posts: 872
  • Thank you received: 360
  • Karma: 16
Hahaha I was very busy but glad to be back quite honestly.

Two lines of thought on the carrotator are, if the weather turns crappy and you sew the seeds they can lay dormant in the cold wet soil and simply rot away, by doing them in the tubes earlier on indoors you have warm under heat and a better chance at germination, they really need 80F to get started.

Once they shoot through that part is done and you know they are there and then you can take them off the heat after a couple of days and keep them in the window which acts as a greenhouse with direct UV's and heating the tubes through the clear sides.

The other way to make planting seeds is to get some dry sharp sand and put half a packet of seeds in a bag and give it a shake then scatter a thin line out, the dry sand retains heat if its warm and the ready watered soil will be absorbed by the dryness of the sand and allow for drainage if it turns very wet
dubmeup wrote:
I do totally agree that thinning is wasteful. I think of it a bit like abortion. As a result I tend to sow on the thin side. This does add to the time it takes though. My finger skills aren't perfect so I do thin out :emb: By sowing rather thinly I do try to minimise that though. I can see the genius in the app's 'carrotator', though he really does need to get back here to stem the tide of me getting all snidey on his arse about being a closet prize veg grower :D
.
Last Edit: 04 Jun 2012 01:11 by The Apprentice.
You must register to post here.

Re: The veg grower's thread 04 Jun 2012 01:16 #80

  • dubs
  • dubs's Avatar
  • ZONED OUT
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Rank0
  • Goodbye and Goodluck
  • Posts: 5408
  • Thank you received: 2474
  • Karma: 69000000
The Apprentice wrote:
The other way to make planting seeds is to get some dry sharp sand and put half a packet of seeds in a bag and give it a shake then scatter a thin line out, the dry sand retains heat if its warm and the ready watered soil will be absorbed by the dryness of the sand and allow for drainage if it turns very wet

I'm getting the sand idea with regard to warmth and water. Good thinking and advice. I must say though that I wouldn't be premixing the seed with it personally. I get a fairly good and even spread of seed by dropping them in the bed individually. This is something that I'd have thought would be much harder to achieve with a sand premix or wallpaper paste mix like you see recommended for sowing seed.
Last Edit: 04 Jun 2012 01:17 by dubs.
You must register to post here.
Moderators: psketti, oioioi, batou
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Latest Members Blogs

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Prev Next

What is going on when it comes to 9-11 I…

The EPA (environmental protection agency) and OSHA took air samples in the days following September 11th, they reported that they found no excessive levels of asbestos contrary to other findings....

Read more

9-11 Eleven Years Later

9-11 Eleven Years Later

With the anniversary of September 11th literally just around the corner, unanswered questions still remain for families who lost loved ones during the tragic event, as well as from families...

Read more

Strange Noises, Possible Link to Mass An…

Strange Noises, Possible Link to Mass Animal Deaths

In 2008 the U.S. Supreme Court agreed to review a series of lower court rulings that restrict the United States Navy's use of sonar in submarine detection training exercises off...

Read more

Annual Server Target

Whether its 50 cents or five dollars, your donations are appreciated and help keep this community site running so we can all continue to enjoy using it.
This target is to meet our server cost for one year, June 2020 - May 2021, in USD.
$ 340 - Target
( £ 250 GBP )
donation thermometer
donation thermometer
$ 192 - Raised
( £ 140 GBP )
donation thermometer
56%
Most Recent Donation:
$122 USD on 4th Jan 2021
Bitcoin Address: bc1q0kazqya0nurfxtunxv807vm0m8852nnrrk8mj8
 
Ethereum Address: 0xe69915c80dd75df19f438d556267e04f932f057d
 
More Info: Donation options for TZ

No one is obliged to donate, please only donate what you can afford. Even the smallest amount helps. Being an active member is a positive contribution. Thank You.

TradeZone Latest

Visitors

Today848
Yesterday1565
Week6254
Month2413
Total1205413

Your IP Address: 216.73.216.78 Your Browser and OS: Unknown - Unknown Friday, 02 October 2026 12:18

Who Is Online

Guests : 648 guests online Members : No members online
© 2012 – 2021 Sanctum Zone | All rights reserved. This website is a place for people to express and discuss their views on the news and world events. DISCLAIMER: Please Note: Views expressed and submitted by contributors are their own personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions and beliefs of the Sanctum Zone website and its founder(s) , administrators , moderators , and any other website maintenance technicians, personnel and volunteers. Articles and messages posted on this website and forum are solely the opinion of their authors.

Login or Register

LOG IN

Register

User Registration
or Cancel