Sanctum Zone

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Paranormal is a general term that designates experiences that lie outside "the range of normal experience or scientific explanation" or that indicates phenomena understood to be outside of science's current ability to explain or measure.

Paranormal subjects include those that pertain to ghosts, extraterrestrial life and unidentified flying objects, and cryptids.

Read More: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranormal
  • Page:

TOPIC: A Strange Presence?

A Strange Presence? 02 May 2012 11:21 #1

• quietgirl
  • ZONED OUT
  • Senior Boarder
  • Rank3
  • Is the kettle on? I could murder a cup of tea! :)
  • Thank you received: 461
Hi, folks! I daresay this is going to make me sound really peculiar, but...I think there might be some sort of entity in my house that likes to watch me drying my hair! :O

Very often, whilst drying my hair, I get a really strong feeling that there's someone/something behind me, watching. It's so strong I feel compelled to stop what I'm doing and turn round. It doesn't actually frighten me, so I don't think it's a negative being, whatever it is. I'm not prone to imagining things, and don't get this feeling any other time!

So am I bonkers...or is there a weird entity with a fascination for hair in my house?! :hide:

Mandy
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well. - Mother Julian of Norwich
Last Edit: 02 May 2012 13:09 by quietgirl. Reason: Misspelled title
You must register to post here.

Re: A Strange Presence? 02 May 2012 13:26 #2

• psketti
  • ZONED OUT
  • Hired help
  • Rankadmin
  • we cant stop here, this is dog country
  • Thank you received: 5668
Not sure what to say to that mandy and haven't got any answers for you but I can probably safely say that you're not any more 'peculiar' than the rest of us :)
the anorak hides the fact that sean is composed of 95% vaginas

Re: A Strange Presence? 02 May 2012 14:15 #3

• irrepressible
  • ZONED OUT
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Rank0
  • Thank you received: 1770
Interesting...

Do you mean towel drying Mandy? Or do you use a hair dryer?

Re: A Strange Presence? 02 May 2012 14:47 #4

• batou
  • ZONED OUT
  • Forum Facilitator
  • Rankmod
  • Premier Subscriber
  • Thank you received: 3847
i'd say its probably ab.
my limbless friend will die alone
a torso of flesh upon the throne

Violence is not the answer, it is the question. the answer is yes.

Re: A Strange Presence? 02 May 2012 14:56 #5

• diamondgeezer
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
  • Thank you received: 1504
batou wrote:
i'd say its probably ab.

:larf:
truth-zone.co.uk/ - the other place...

The pen is mightier than the sword

Re: A Strange Presence? 02 May 2012 16:42 #6

• quietgirl
  • ZONED OUT
  • Senior Boarder
  • Rank3
irrepressible wrote:
Interesting...

Do you mean towel drying Mandy? Or do you use a hair dryer?

Hi, irrie - it's when I use a hair dryer!

Mandy
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well. - Mother Julian of Norwich

Re: A Strange Presence? 02 May 2012 16:43 #7

• quietgirl
  • ZONED OUT
  • Senior Boarder
  • Rank3
batou wrote:
i'd say its probably ab.

Oo-er!! :rofl:

Mandy

Re: A Strange Presence? 03 May 2012 00:18 #8

• irrepressible
  • ZONED OUT
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Rank0
  • Thank you received: 1770
quietgirl wrote:

Mandy

I have a theory :D
If the hair dryer is loud, maybe because you can't hear sounds very well you're sort of half expecting someone to come into the room or something...like a hightened awareness kind of thing.
Are you facing a door? Or is your back turned away from the door? If the door is behind you, again maybe you're half expecting someone to walk in, or to be standing in the doorway.

Or it could be a ghost with a bit of a fetish! :O :chuckle:

There's been many a time I've flushed the toilet and could swear my mum was calling me above the din. Because I was probably half expecting it.

It's a theory anyway :chuckle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: quietgirl

Re: A Strange Presence? 03 May 2012 00:54 #9

• batou
  • ZONED OUT
  • Forum Facilitator
  • Rankmod
  • Premier Subscriber
  • Thank you received: 3847
how bout the doppler effect combined with the acoustics of a small room?
my limbless friend will die alone
a torso of flesh upon the throne

Violence is not the answer, it is the question. the answer is yes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: quietgirl

Re: A Strange Presence? 03 May 2012 07:41 #10

• quietgirl
  • ZONED OUT
  • Senior Boarder
  • Rank3
irrepressible wrote:
quietgirl wrote:

Mandy

I have a theory :D
If the hair dryer is loud, maybe because you can't hear sounds very well you're sort of half expecting someone to come into the room or something...like a hightened awareness kind of thing.
Are you facing a door? Or is your back turned away from the door? If the door is behind you, again maybe you're half expecting someone to walk in, or to be standing in the doorway.

Or it could be a ghost with a bit of a fetish! :O :chuckle:

There's been many a time I've flushed the toilet and could swear my mum was calling me above the din. Because I was probably half expecting it.

It's a theory anyway :chuckle:

Thanks, irrie - that all sounds very possible! My back is indeed to the door while I'm using the hairdryer. I've also had the experience where I think either my mum or my OH is calling me when I'm doing something like running the bath! Weird!

Mandy

Re: A Strange Presence? 03 May 2012 07:44 #11

• quietgirl
  • ZONED OUT
  • Senior Boarder
  • Rank3
batou wrote:
how bout the doppler effect combined with the acoustics of a small room?

That also sounds like a possibility - thanks, bat! :)

Mandy

Re: A Strange Presence? 03 May 2012 09:57 #12

• dubs
  • ZONED OUT
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Rank0
  • Goodbye and Goodluck
  • Thank you received: 2474
Very interesting Mandy.

I'd agree that this may well be a psychoacoustic effect as a result of the hair dryer. Many of us have the feeling of hearing things underneath otherwise dominant noises, I have myself. However I wouldn't be ruling out other explanations

In your case, you say it is feeling based. That to me points somewhere other than a sound effect.
Can't offer any explanations I'm afraid but would counsel you to trust your intuition.

Re: A Strange Presence? 03 May 2012 14:23 #13

• Abs
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
  • How are you thinking today?
  • Thank you received: 3940
batou wrote:
i'd say its probably ab.

Shut your head.

Do you dry your hair in the same place every time, Mandy? If so, do you ever notice this 'presence' at any other times?
What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tomorrow: Our life is the creation of our mind.

-Buddha

Re: A Strange Presence? 03 May 2012 14:52 #14

• domathy
  • ZONED OUT
  • Voluntarily Inactive
  • Rank0
  • Thank you received: 57
quietgirl wrote:
Hi, folks! I daresay this is going to make me sound really peculiar, but...I think there might be some sort of entity in my house that likes to watch me drying my hair! :O

Very often, whilst drying my hair, I get a really strong feeling that there's someone/something behind me, watching. It's so strong I feel compelled to stop what I'm doing and turn round. It doesn't actually frighten me, so I don't think it's a negative being, whatever it is. I'm not prone to imagining things, and don't get this feeling any other time!

So am I bonkers...or is there a weird entity with a fascination for hair in my house?! :hide:

Mandy

Presumably you dry your hair in front of a mirror? (which of course begs the question why you need to physically turn round to see if someone/thing is behind you ;) ). I hear people say that mirrors are portals to other dimensions (there;s loads on this if you google) plus, high-EMF devices such as hairdriers (very, very high EMF) also attract, lets just say entities, for some reason - so maybe a combination of the two could be attracting the wrong sort of company, although im just speculating obviously. Maybe, just as an experiment, try not using the mirror, just to see if it makes a difference, or wear garlic and play music to repel them such as Enya or Russell Watson (though im told those things will do nothing to repel Ab Im afraid). Good luck.
Last Edit: 03 May 2012 14:55 by domathy.

Re: A Strange Presence? 03 May 2012 15:56 #15

• quietgirl
  • ZONED OUT
  • Senior Boarder
  • Rank3
domathy wrote:
quietgirl wrote:

Mandy

Presumably you dry your hair in front of a mirror? (which of course begs the question why you need to physically turn round to see if someone/thing is behind you ;) ). I hear people say that mirrors are portals to other dimensions (there;s loads on this if you google) plus, high-EMF devices such as hairdriers (very, very high EMF) also attract, lets just say entities, for some reason - so maybe a combination of the two could be attracting the wrong sort of company, although im just speculating obviously. Maybe, just as an experiment, try not using the mirror, just to see if it makes a difference, or wear garlic and play music to repel them such as Enya or Russell Watson (though im told those things will do nothing to repel Ab Im afraid). Good luck.

That's fascinating - so it could be the mirror rather than the act of hair-drying itself that's at the root of this "thing"? (I do dry my hair in front of a mirror; however, I have to do some of it without my specs on and my eyesight's pretty terrible so I wouldn't really see anything until it was on top of me, so to speak!). I could try and dry my hair without the mirror but then I'd resemble Russell Brand, so that's probably not an option lol! :O :D

I don't actually feel frightened, so if it is an entity of some sort then hopefully it's benign! I suppose I could make sure I'm wearing my cross around my neck while I'm hair-drying. see if that makes a difference?

So many interesting theories - thanks, people! :)

Mandy

Re: A Strange Presence? 03 May 2012 15:59 #16

• quietgirl
  • ZONED OUT
  • Senior Boarder
  • Rank3
Ab Origine wrote:
batou wrote:
i'd say its probably ab.

Shut your head.

Do you dry your hair in the same place every time, Mandy? If so, do you ever notice this 'presence' at any other times?

Yes, I always dry my hair in the same place, abs, as it's the most convenient place for both power-socket and mirror, but I don't recall feeling the presence at any other time.

Mandy

Re: A Strange Presence? 03 May 2012 17:19 #17

• cantata
  • ZONED OUT
  • Expert Boarder
  • Rank4
  • Thank you received: 1123
Okaaaay... well, in psychology and feng shui (that kind of theory), an open door behind you is said to put you on alert, in case an enemy or attacker comes a-creepin up :O

But, at the risk of sounding even more bonkers than you, Mandy - this was how I first became aware of my Guardian/Guide being around, right from very young childhood. (He's very much the gentleman and never comes into the bathroom with me :D ).

Just sayin! :rab: < Remember Harvey?
There is no such thing as Thin Air: Thin Air is full of the particles of creation.

Take something that costs you nothing but effort;
And practice, practice, practice until you make it something fabulous.

"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
If he undaunted be....". (Beowulf)....

Re: A Strange Presence? 03 May 2012 17:22 #18

• Coco
  • ZONED OUT
  • Senior Boarder
  • Rank3
  • The jolly, candy like button!
  • Thank you received: 383
Fascinating, and thank you bringing this to attention.

I don't have the answer, but I also feel the same way when drying my
hair; sometimes I think I hear the phone ring, too!

I DO NOT think you're nuts!
"If you see your face is dirty in the mirror, do you wash the mirror?"

Re: A Strange Presence? 03 May 2012 17:29 #19

• Coco
  • ZONED OUT
  • Senior Boarder
  • Rank3
  • The jolly, candy like button!
  • Thank you received: 383
Dear Mods,

Where is the spooky story thread? I've certainly overlooked it.
"If you see your face is dirty in the mirror, do you wash the mirror?"

Re: A Strange Presence? 03 May 2012 17:35 #20

• psketti
  • ZONED OUT
  • Hired help
  • Rankadmin
  • we cant stop here, this is dog country
  • Thank you received: 5668
Coco wrote:
Dear Mods,

Where is the spooky story thread? I've certainly overlooked it.

Here you go coco.... :cool:

sanctumzone.co.uk/forum/18-paranormal-my...m-the-old-place.html
the anorak hides the fact that sean is composed of 95% vaginas
  • Page:
Moderators: psketti, oioioi, batou
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds