You must register to post here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cantata

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 14 Sep 2016 20:00 #3842

• cantata
  • ZONED OUT
  • Expert Boarder
  • Rank4
  • Thank you received: 1123
Oh, don't torment me, Ian! I have gluten intolerance which is currently going mad and has been for a week now...... for the sake of four crackers. I mean four piddly Jacob's cream crackers.... and I thought, "I never have anything really. I mean it's only four; I mean, that won't do any harm". Wrong! :(

But, of for the days of vegetable samosas.
There is no such thing as Thin Air: Thin Air is full of the particles of creation.

Take something that costs you nothing but effort;
And practice, practice, practice until you make it something fabulous.

"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
If he undaunted be....". (Beowulf)....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian2day

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 14 Sep 2016 21:10 #3843

• Space Bandit
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
  • Thank you received: 2274
cantata wrote:
I've often heard it said the "We are a dirty animal, like rats, poisoning our own environment"... I'd argue with the "We" of that kind of statement. I'm not the one churning crap into the waters, or smoke into the air. I'm not goring into the earth's belly for gold or oil, or dropping nuclear bombs into the oceans to test if they work.

It's the same conclusion as with all things - political, financial, social: get rid of the psychos at the top and get more involved in the management of it all ourselves. But the vast majority won't - because they are "the psychopath's greatest allies": the lazy and the apathetic.

Certainly nuclear weapons the majority of people can bear less responsibility for...
but if, like most people I'm sure have, have eaten factory farmed animals, bought products from industries that are responisble for heavy pollution, ridden in a car, or simply just thrown something away even in a bin.... we are perpetuating something that will continue to be detrimental as long as we buy into it... and it's almost impossible not to do most if not all of those things in the world we live in.
Set the controls for the heart of the earth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cantata, Hexhammer

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 14 Sep 2016 21:20 #3844

• Space Bandit
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
wake_up_bomb wrote:
So that's one thing, instantly I'm suspicious of why this is being pushed so hard when other environmental catastrophes are completely ignored. And then I just don't think it's possible for human beings to understand the climate by inputting a load of data into a computer model. If you read how this is done, I don't really consider it to be scientific, it's pseudo-science, in my opinion, so any broad conclusions drawn from it are worthless as far as I'm concerned.

True... but a lot of data that is relied upon to draw the conclusions and even offer up a timescale of how hot or cold the world has been throughout history is taken from measuring chemical levels in ice sheets which seems pretty straight forward. Although that is only one aspect of the environment. I've seen it suggested that climate can be altered by our position in the wider universe as well. That's an awful lot of factors and vectors to have to calculate.... and it only takes one missing or bogus ingredient and it's rendered useless.

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 16 Sep 2016 15:49 #3845

• wake_up_bomb
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
  • Thank you received: 4418
True... but a lot of data that is relied upon to draw the conclusions and even offer up a timescale of how hot or cold the world has been throughout history is taken from measuring chemical levels in ice sheets which seems pretty straight forward. Although that is only one aspect of the environment. I've seen it suggested that climate can be altered by our position in the wider universe as well. That's an awful lot of factors and vectors to have to calculate.... and it only takes one missing or bogus ingredient and it's rendered useless.
It's reasonable to assume that the planet has been getting warmer, I don't believe it's possible to understand why. I just believe it's beyond the scope of human intelligence. I don't believe it's possible to accurately model the climate and then draw conclusions based on those models. It may give you some vague impression of what the climate is like, but it can't ever imitate reality accurately.

Science is very bad at understanding complex systems, it's better at proposing solutions within those systems. That's because, as you say, there are too many variables. There has been tonnes of research into cancer, but the world's leading expert couldn't come close to pinpointing why one person who smoked 20 cigarettes every day got lung cancer, and another person who did the same did not. All they can do is look at lifestyle data and try to draw some broad conclusions. They're not even really trying to understand that, they're just trying to treat the problem because actually understanding what causes cancer is too complex.

Obviously as well science is very politicised and money-driven, as everything is, and that just skews things even further. There is a scientific consensus that says pharmaceutical drugs are great, there was something publicised just this week which suggested statins are great (funded by the industry, of course), there is a scientific consensus that says we should be vaccinating our children every five minutes, there is a scientific consensus which states we should be eating a high-carb, low-fat diet, but this has been very strongly challenged as well. There is a scientific consensus which says that GM foods are wonderful. There is supposedly a scientific consensus that states Building 7 crushed itself into dust due to small fires.

It's always hard to say to what extent this is stupidity, and to what extent the influence of nefarious factors. It's hard to go outside of the box for numerous reasons, even if you're inclined to do so, and if you're the sort of person who is inclined to do so, you're probably not going to rise to a prominent position in academia or the scientific community in the first place. But I just don't have any faith in climate science whatsoever.
The true measure of a man is not his intelligence or how high he rises in this freak establishment. The true measure of a man is this: how quickly he can respond to the needs of others and how much of himself he can give - Philip K. Dick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hexhammer, Space Bandit

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 16 Sep 2016 19:19 #3846

• Space Bandit
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
wake_up_bomb wrote:
It's reasonable to assume that the planet has been getting warmer, I don't believe it's possible to understand why. I just believe it's beyond the scope of human intelligence. I don't believe it's possible to accurately model the climate and then draw conclusions based on those models. It may give you some vague impression of what the climate is like, but it can't ever imitate reality accurately.

Science is very bad at understanding complex systems, it's better at proposing solutions within those systems. That's because, as you say, there are too many variables. There has been tonnes of research into cancer, but the world's leading expert couldn't come close to pinpointing why one person who smoked 20 cigarettes every day got lung cancer, and another person who did the same did not. All they can do is look at lifestyle data and try to draw some broad conclusions. They're not even really trying to understand that, they're just trying to treat the problem because actually understanding what causes cancer is too complex.

Obviously as well science is very politicised and money-driven, as everything is, and that just skews things even further. There is a scientific consensus that says pharmaceutical drugs are great, there was something publicised just this week which suggested statins are great (funded by the industry, of course), there is a scientific consensus that says we should be vaccinating our children every five minutes, there is a scientific consensus which states we should be eating a high-carb, low-fat diet, but this has been very strongly challenged as well. There is a scientific consensus which says that GM foods are wonderful. There is supposedly a scientific consensus that states Building 7 crushed itself into dust due to small fires.

It's always hard to say to what extent this is stupidity, and to what extent the influence of nefarious factors. It's hard to go outside of the box for numerous reasons, even if you're inclined to do so, and if you're the sort of person who is inclined to do so, you're probably not going to rise to a prominent position in academia or the scientific community in the first place. But I just don't have any faith in climate science whatsoever.

Agreed..... they can't even accurately predict the weather so predicting much beyond that should be treated with skepticism.
Not sure it's fair to assume the planet has been getting warmer.... afaik the earth's last major change in temperature was in 1997.
What is almost certain is that if we continue to rip down rainforests, heavily pollute the atmosphere with all manner of chemicals, pollute the oceans with endless rubbish (mainly plastic,) have general disregard for nature (such as bees,) bleed the earth dry of natural resources, poison the land with chemicals and nuclear testing..... we are fucked. There is the possibility of transcending all this AND our mortality with transhumanism.... which I think is still miles off, but you can see bit by bit how artificial objects can be entwined and integrated into humans..... from basic things like pacemakers to the more modern stuff which is seeing some paralympic athletes beat regular olympians. It would be one of the hugest coincidences ever if the environment became uninhabitable and most species died off, but humans had somehow managed to beat the environmental clock with tranhumanism. What are the chances of that? It would be almost like it was all predetermined. But I'm coming round to the idea that, in however long a timescale, transhumanism is possibly the only way in which the human race will not just survive, but evolve. It's inevitable.
What will the environment be like in 100-200 years time if we continue as we are? What will the science of transhumanism be like in the same timescale given the acceleration of technology over the last 100 years or so?
Worrying stuff!
Last Edit: 16 Sep 2016 19:20 by Space Bandit.

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 17 Sep 2016 00:42 #3847

• psketti
  • ZONED OUT
  • Hired help
  • Rankadmin
  • we cant stop here, this is dog country
  • Thank you received: 5668
The earth has gone through cycles for millions of years and the data is out there that claims we are long overdue another such cycle....would it not then be logical to assume that the changes the earth is experiencing (and when you go looking it's on a rather grand scale it has to be said) is down to what's possibly going to happen as opposed to what is happening?

I'm not trying to deflect what we as humans have done to this planet, but I am suggesting that maybe it's all moot at the end of the day as mother nature and the universe may have bigger plans.

Just a thought :P
the anorak hides the fact that sean is composed of 95% vaginas

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 17 Sep 2016 10:59 #3848

• Hexhammer
  • ZONED OUT
  • Expert Boarder
  • Rank4
  • Thank you received: 1129
I'm starting to get bored of eating apples... Its been years since I had so many, about a dozen every day for nearly two weeks. They're good and all, but even the best of foods gets boring if you eat it all the time. I'm telling myself to keep eating them, soon it'll be another year before I get more. I don't like the winter variety that much.
The things you leave behind, you find in front of you.

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 17 Sep 2016 11:52 #3849

• Black Cloud
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
  • Go Boil An Egg....
  • Thank you received: 1227
Haven't eaten an apple in about two or three years, meh don't miss them
I Speak Four Languages Sarcasm English Profanity, And Real Shit...

When we hang the capitalists they will sell us the rope we use.
Joseph Stalin

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 19 Sep 2016 23:15 #3850

• oioioi
  • ZONED OUT
  • Zone Facilitator
  • Rankmod
  • with my droogs
  • Thank you received: 7307
Women! Nowhere near as good as daughters!
If you have any issues with the forum or it's members, for a speedier response, rather than pressing the report button, please post them here: sanctumzone.co.uk/forum/Forum-Projects--...scussion-thread.html

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 20 Sep 2016 03:01 #3851

• wake_up_bomb
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
oioioi wrote:
Women! Nowhere near as good as daughters!
I'm sure there's some sort of logical flaw in that statement, but I can't work out what it is.
The true measure of a man is not his intelligence or how high he rises in this freak establishment. The true measure of a man is this: how quickly he can respond to the needs of others and how much of himself he can give - Philip K. Dick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: psketti

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 20 Sep 2016 21:48 #3852

• Space Bandit
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
WuB.... are you ready for more chess?
I managed to build my rating up to 1600s recently & then blew it all away as if I was on some sort of losing binge.
Weirdly my results seem to go through cycles of winning loads on the trot & then losing loads on the trot. Something's obviously altering in by brain!

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 21 Sep 2016 01:13 #3853

• humanspirit
  • ZONED OUT
  • Expert Boarder
  • Rank4
  • Thank you received: 894
Hexhammer wrote:
I'm starting to get bored of eating apples... Its been years since I had so many, about a dozen every day for nearly two weeks. They're good and all, but even the best of foods gets boring if you eat it all the time. I'm telling myself to keep eating them, soon it'll be another year before I get more. I don't like the winter variety that much.

Can you get pink lady's where you are hex,they taste of champagne.

Best apples I've had were baked then pour honey and plain yogurt on.

Bit of pissing about but worth it.
naivety attracts evil and evil attracts naivety
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hexhammer

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 21 Sep 2016 10:59 #3854

• Hexhammer
  • ZONED OUT
  • Expert Boarder
  • Rank4
  • Thank you received: 1129
I'm not sure which one that is, I'm totally oblivious to the names of different apples, specially in English. People here have many different kinds of apples, usually there's closer to ten types in one garden. There's almost always some early ones and some very late ones for winter.

Which one is the pale yellow coloured one? Its one of the earliest of them, really sweet taste and all.
The things you leave behind, you find in front of you.

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 21 Sep 2016 11:19 #3855

• humanspirit
  • ZONED OUT
  • Expert Boarder
  • Rank4
  • Thank you received: 894
Hexhammer wrote:
Which one is the pale yellow coloured one? Its one of the earliest of them, really sweet taste and all.

Aren't they called bananas hex?

Only joking,Not to sure i just found one type of apple that i don't mind eating.

I actually prefer vegetables over fruit.
naivety attracts evil and evil attracts naivety
The following user(s) said Thank You: cantata

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 21 Sep 2016 14:21 #3856

• cantata
  • ZONED OUT
  • Expert Boarder
  • Rank4
Make pies and jams and purees and stuff, Hex. :)
There is no such thing as Thin Air: Thin Air is full of the particles of creation.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Hexhammer

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 21 Sep 2016 14:50 #3857

• wake_up_bomb
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
Space Bandit wrote:
WuB.... are you ready for more chess?
I managed to build my rating up to 1600s recently & then blew it all away as if I was on some sort of losing binge.
Weirdly my results seem to go through cycles of winning loads on the trot & then losing loads on the trot. Something's obviously altering in by brain!
Yeah, I'll give you a game soon. I'll have to dig out my login because I haven't played for ages.

I actually beat a National Master a while ago, checkmated him in the middle of the board. I never thought I would beat a titled player. I realised as soon as I'd done it that this would be the zenith of my chess career. But it'd be good to have a few games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Bandit

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 01 Oct 2016 20:52 #3858

• Space Bandit
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
So.... I've started a teacher training course. I've got my placement sorted and should be teaching in further education from November.
Don't panic.... I'll only be teaching music tech stuff to folk.
I've come across some very serious conflicts of personal beliefs in this undertaking.... including limiting my freedom of speech and expression to a certain degree.
Anyway, as part of the course I had to do a poetry recital in front of the class of budding teachers. This was quite difficult for a lot of people..... practically everybody expressed some form of nervousness and lack of confidence speaking to a room of people. It's quite normal, but obviously it's something that needs getting over before being able to teach. I set myself a really big challenge...... totally ripped this off and totally nailed it... although I have to say I was bricking it. I managed to find a part in my mind or my personality somewhere where I am somebody able to do this kind of thing.

If you've not seen this before, it's piss funny. It's still piss funny if you have.

The following user(s) said Thank You: psketti, cantata

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 01 Oct 2016 21:08 #3859

• cantata
  • ZONED OUT
  • Expert Boarder
  • Rank4
:D

Well Done, Spacey! I know going into these institutions is not really how or where most people want to end up - upholding the training of children to obey authorities and their diktats and learn useless informations - but until or unless we start getting LOTS of the "right sort" of people in there teaching kids, nothing is going to change.

Where is your placement? In Manchester or Cornwall?

And great choice of recital piece. Perhaps you'll be just the ticket around youngsters in the future!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Bandit

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 01 Oct 2016 22:46 #3860

• Space Bandit
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
I came to the conclusion that being a teacher is meaningful. Unlike the majority of jobs that exist which just serve the status quo.
I'll be teaching (almost) locally for now.... but this is a phase of a long term plan to get to Kernow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cantata, Hexhammer
Moderators: oioioi, psketti, batou
Time to create page: 0.334 seconds