• Page:

TOPIC: Voting at the General Election

Voting at the General Election 07 May 2017 00:29 #1

• Space Bandit
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
  • Thank you received: 2274
This is really starting to get on my Bristols already.
'but people died for the right to vote' ..... is like a red rag to a bull for me.
I understand people's angst with the Tories.... out of all the shades of this political spectrum they are undoubtedly the worst.... scum, subhuman scum.
& at times I am tempted to vote just to get rid of them...., not that it's looking likely, but things are getting that bad. Another 5 years of them is something that really turns my stomach. Anybody who votes for them needs lining up and shot imo. :D But then Tory voters feel the same about 'leftys' or 'bleeding heart liberals'. They don't see it as all a load of bullshit that simply protects the status quo. People are giving away their political responsibility to people who make empty promises to win elections.... surely they've seen all that before but for some reason expect a different outcome. That said I quite like Jeremy Corbyn and I agree with him quite a bit... but can one man or a political party ever fully represent my views? Can they fuck.
None of the political parties mention anything to do with the fraudulent money creation system or have any intention to do anything about it. This is one of the most fundamental problems our society has allowed to happen creating vast inequality. Not only are the high street banks able to print their own cash in the form of debt - since they can control who borrows money and what for - they are essentially loaning money out to people only in areas they want to see invested in. The only political party to mention this enormous travesty are the Green Party.... and they are advising people to vote Labour.... to get rid of the Tories. Even if Labour did win, they'd spend the next 5 years undoing what the Tories have been upto... maybe another 5 years at best.... as well as completely making a mess of everything because you can't polish the turd of a monetary system anyway..... then most likely back to the Tories to start it all off again. Round and round and round.
Pointless and actually regressive.
Set the controls for the heart of the earth.
Last Edit: 07 May 2017 00:34 by Space Bandit.
You must register to post here.

Voting at the General Election 08 May 2017 17:23 #2

• dubmeup
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
  • Thank you received: 2296
It befuddles me. Take perfectly sane and intelligent people, introduce party politics and elections and you end up with blind idiots who'll espouse the most delusional fantasies imaginable. Aint having nowt to do with it.
"laws are unenforceable if the majority break them."-humanspirit,
"avoid the concept of an ambassador for truth altogether"-gilly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Bandit

Voting at the General Election 09 May 2017 00:36 #3

• Space Bandit
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
dubmeup wrote:
It befuddles me. Take perfectly sane and intelligent people, introduce party politics and elections and you end up with blind idiots who'll espouse the most delusional fantasies imaginable. Aint having nowt to do with it.

I think at that point they become insane and unintelligent. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
It's not possible to have an educated population in a capitalist society.... therein lies a massive problem and one that's going to be very difficult to change.

Voting at the General Election 09 May 2017 02:39 #4

• wake_up_bomb
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
  • Thank you received: 4418
You have the problem of education and societal conditioning.

You have the problem of media manipulation and propaganda.

I think the thread has probably disappeared now where I tested everyone's personality type...but another problem is that large swathes of the population do not have the mental faculties to be able to understand, they literally cannot think about things in the right way.

Then you have the problem of poverty. When people are in an impoverished state they tend to act irrationally.

Another problem is that people are self-interested and scared. I haven't followed the election at all, and won't follow it, but I know the Tories will just tell people to be scared of the unknown. Labour will essentially do the same thing in a slightly more sincere way; ie. be scared of the Tories. Be scared of Scottish independence, be scared of Brexit, oh now Brexit has happened, be even more scared...whatever it is it's always the same basic technique.

And then another problem is that people are tribal in nature, so even if they can to some extent understand what is going on then you can still convince them to lean to the left or right. Some people will always view the Tories as evil, and somehow they can't bring themselves to view Labour or the Lib Dems in the same way. While people on the right are just as bad, and they'll perform all sorts of mental gymnastic to convince themselves that Trump hasn't completely let them down or that the Tories are somehow doing a good job.

People on the 'left' will completely overlook the faults of their beloved leaders, and people on the 'right' will make excuses for those they support. While the majority just swing from side-to-side like a pendulum, depending on what the media tells them to do. It's actually 20 years now since Blair won his first election, pulled in 43% of the vote compared to 30% for John Major. That was supposed to change things. Twenty years on, we're now going to see the polar opposite result, with the Tories today polling around 46% and Labour 30%. So people have now completely switched around from their position of 20 years ago, but what has changed for the better and what is going to change for the better when the Tories have a landslide victory? Many people who are going out to vote Conservative in this election must have voted Labour 20 years ago, so I would love to know what they think is going to change as a result of their vote this time, and what changed as a result of their vote 20 years ago.

It's been really sad over the last few years to see so much nonsense promoted and promulgated, not by the mainstream media and institutions, that's inevitable, but by people on the Internet, by alternative sources, by those who do not directly benefit from the existing system. There really is so much self-defeating bollocks spouted by people who think that they're informed.

The reality is that it's never going to get better because all of the information is out there now for people to be informed, yet most people remain ignorant, confused or both. I try to focus on my own goals, development and happiness.
The true measure of a man is not his intelligence or how high he rises in this freak establishment. The true measure of a man is this: how quickly he can respond to the needs of others and how much of himself he can give - Philip K. Dick.
Last Edit: 09 May 2017 02:40 by wake_up_bomb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Bandit

Voting at the General Election 21 May 2017 10:59 #5

• andyh
  • ZONED OUT
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Rank6
  • Thank you received: 3544
Seeing as where you live affects candidates chances and therefor party numbers in parliament, it can be a pointless exercise.
Where I live, its Tim Farrons area and due to how rich many people are here the only other one to get votes is the Tory candidate.

Labour have put an 18 year old up as their candidate here which just goes to show how daft it all is.

Id rather total national vote determine party strength in parliament.
“Fascists are not human. A snake is more human.” - Hugo Chávez

Voting at the General Election 22 May 2017 00:14 #6

• wake_up_bomb
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
andyh wrote:
Seeing as where you live affects candidates chances and therefor party numbers in parliament, it can be a pointless exercise.
Where I live, its Tim Farrons area and due to how rich many people are here the only other one to get votes is the Tory candidate.

Labour have put an 18 year old up as their candidate here which just goes to show how daft it all is.

My MP is George Osborne. He's doing a great job. Making a lot of money for engaging in cronyism with the highly dubious BlackRock and editing the London Evening Standard.

Strangely enough, we don't see him up here all that much.
The true measure of a man is not his intelligence or how high he rises in this freak establishment. The true measure of a man is this: how quickly he can respond to the needs of others and how much of himself he can give - Philip K. Dick.
Last Edit: 22 May 2017 00:15 by wake_up_bomb.

Voting at the General Election 22 May 2017 22:38 #7

• andyh
  • ZONED OUT
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Rank6
  • Thank you received: 3544
Osborne is being replaced by Esther McVeigh isn't he?
Out of the frying pan and into the fire then? Lol
“Fascists are not human. A snake is more human.” - Hugo Chávez

Voting at the General Election 28 May 2017 22:57 #8

• Space Bandit
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
andyh wrote:

Yeh that's something that's even more nonsensical about an already nonsensical system....
& quite likely puts quite a lot of people off voting anyway. They know the seat is safe, so it's totally pointless.

Voting at the General Election 29 May 2017 15:36 #9

• wake_up_bomb
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
Space Bandit wrote:
Yeh that's something that's even more nonsensical about an already nonsensical system....
& quite likely puts quite a lot of people off voting anyway. They know the seat is safe, so it's totally pointless.
I don't agree with the current system and wouldn't vote anyway, but I've never lived anywhere, and don't live somewhere now, where there is the remotest point in me voting. In the first constituency I lived in, where I grew up, the same guy was the MP from 1964-2015, and he had previously been an MP in another constituency! If that doesn't underline the pointlessness of voting, I don't know what would.
  • Page:
Moderators: oioioi, psketti, batou
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds