TOPIC: Post What's On Your Mind Right Now

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 04 Apr 2017 13:54 #3901

• wake_up_bomb
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
  • Thank you received: 4418
humanspirit wrote:
Once you pass your test the real driving begins,you will find it goes through cycles of not many fruit loops and then days where their all out in force being fruity.

Get on the motorway as soon as possible to give yourself some experience.
Yeah, I will do, I need to practice that. I don't know how much I will actually drive, if I am honest I don't really enjoy it. I was happy when the instructor said he would drive me home! I would quite happily just look out of the window and let other people drive, but at least I can do my bit now. There is no way I will ever drive into Manchester, it boggles my mind that people will sit in traffic queues in order to do this.

One thing I am certain of is that I was correct not to learn when I was younger. The expense involved is just not worth it. Unless parents are subsidising the whole thing, which I'm sure they are in some cases, I can't really see how teenagers can afford it.dubmeup wrote:
Dunno if i should say it after all that but um....well done WUB :D
Thanks! I just hate rules that don't make sense or bureaucracy that achieves nothing. But you just have to go along with it anyway so you can get a tick in a box. I honestly think I could have piloted the vehicle well enough after my first lesson to pass the test, or at least the test that I did. Some of the reversing manoeuvers take a bit of practice, but none of them were in the test! For all they know, I can't parallel park or reverse round a corner. I could be completely useless at both of those things (and, indeed, I'm not fantastic!), but it didn't even form part of the test.

There was nothing in that test that would demonstrate that I can drive a car in testing road and traffic conditions on my own. Nothing. Yet I'm sitting there and he's going "show me how you would check before a journey that there is enough windscreen washer fluid". I wouldn't check this, no-one would!
The true measure of a man is not his intelligence or how high he rises in this freak establishment. The true measure of a man is this: how quickly he can respond to the needs of others and how much of himself he can give - Philip K. Dick.
Last Edit: 04 Apr 2017 13:57 by wake_up_bomb.
You must register to post here.

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 04 Apr 2017 21:03 #3902

• Space Bandit
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
  • Thank you received: 2274
wake_up_bomb wrote:
I passed my driving test today.

Let me ask a question. A rhetorical question. In what way did today's test demonstrate that I am a competent road user? Trundling around West Didsbury at snail's pace and at one point being asked to do a three-point turn (which I could do the very first time I sat in the driver's seat. And have never once failed to do because you have to do it numerous video games!). A significant proportion of the test was in 20mph zones. You can virtually get out and push faster than that.

In no way have I demonstrated any competence to drive at speeds of over 40mph, and 90% of the test was at speeds slower than this. Furthermore, it only lasted 25 minutes, yet I could have made 14 mistakes and passed! But...if I was in the wrong lane at the wrong time, I would have failed, even though no other road users give a shit and blatantly flaunt the rules of the road all of the time. You must stick to the left-hand lane. Why? No fucker else is! Traffic in front of me in the middle lane is going straight on, traffic behind me in the middle lane is going straight on. None of those vehicles are in the left lane. Yes, but technically you must be in the left lane. Why? It says so on my test sheet.

It's a fucking joke. Tomorrow, if I could get one insured (which I could due to my age) I could go out and buy a Porsche and legally take it on the motorway. In no way have I demonstrated any ability to do that. Furthermore, I don't even know the rules of the road for a motorway! I literally have no idea how motorways work! But no-one could stop me. Yes, you can take a Pass Plus course, or even informally take lessons on motorways, but you don't have to do so.

I haven't even shown the instructor that I can drive safely at 60mph, in fact I barely demonstrated that I can drive safely at 40mph. None of the tricky manoeuvers were part of the test. Instead you get asked some daft questions about how you would test the parking brake is working, which I have never seen anyone do ever! I'm sure there is someone out there who checks that they've got enough windscreen washer fluid before every journey, but it's not any human being I've ever met! Oh, and I know the speed limit for cars towing caravans as well, which I'm sure will prove to be endlessly useful.

It's just a bureaucratic, box-ticking exercise that proves absolutely nothing. Quite honestly, I could have passed today's test after about five hours in a car, ten at the absolute most. It proves almost nothing with regard to your ability to pilot the vehicle.

It essentially just demonstrates that you are able to use a car in a way that you are able to control the car and negotiate your way around using the relevant signage. Lots of people still fail even though the bar isn't that high!
Bizarrely I've just had a driving test... even though I can drive. I'm doing some taxi work for a bit to generate some much needed income..... the test for that was similar to a regular test, but unbeknown to me if you made more than 6 minor mistakes it was a fail..... I made 6 minor mistakes! It's more difficult to go back into driving test mode after you've been driving in some of the most tedious driving conditions you could encounter for years. I've got a car with a big dint in the front ... people get out of my way... they are the rules of the road!

But well done.... do have the motorway lessons they are worth it, and have a fair chance of saving your life at some point!
Set the controls for the heart of the earth.
Last Edit: 04 Apr 2017 21:04 by Space Bandit.

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 04 Apr 2017 23:03 #3903

• wake_up_bomb
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
Space Bandit wrote:
But well done.... do have the motorway lessons they are worth it, and have a fair chance of saving your life at some point!
Although, sometimes this is out of your hands on the motorway! But thanks for the reassurance!

I try to be tolerant. I really do. But I feel an almost contempt for those involved in the driving examination process! I mean, they must notice that no-one who has passed their test pays any attention to the rules of the road. Not even the speed limit. All I have had in my lessons is people tailgating me, and I've been driving above the speed limit most of the time. But it's fine, it's not in itself dangerous. They must sit there all day watching people break the rules constantly, but then they fail people for the most trivial things. I read a thread on some student forum, it's full of kids who have been failed 3, 4, 5 times for the most trivial things. And their instructors are telling them that they're perfectly capable drivers, yet one time they're being failed for being too hesitant and then the next for not being hesitant enough! And all sorts of other crap!

These kids cannot afford to keep retaking their fucking driving test! It is disgusting. The whole thing is a joke, although why I expected anything else (which I didn't!) I do not know! Still at least I've proved I can drive at 20mph and follow a sign to Manchester Airport...
The true measure of a man is not his intelligence or how high he rises in this freak establishment. The true measure of a man is this: how quickly he can respond to the needs of others and how much of himself he can give - Philip K. Dick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: humanspirit

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 06 Apr 2017 01:08 #3904

• humanspirit
  • ZONED OUT
  • Expert Boarder
  • Rank4
  • Thank you received: 894
Personally i find most people follow the rules of the road.

I mean when their transporting their drugs and the rest they get paranoid LOL.

;)
naivety attracts evil and evil attracts naivety
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Cloud

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 06 Apr 2017 19:07 #3905

• Gilly
  • ZONED OUT
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Rank6
  • Psychic Assassin
  • Thank you received: 6506
Hey, well done on passing your test WUB.

Maybe you'll get the opportunity to drive past that woman you were getting on with who blew you out because you didn't drive - preferably when she's shivering at a bus stop. Then you could be magnanimous and offer her a lift. ( Or possibly just give the royal wave with a smug smirk as you zoom past :twisted: ).
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 07 Apr 2017 04:08 #3906

• wake_up_bomb
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
Gilly wrote:
Hey, well done on passing your test WUB.

Maybe you'll get the opportunity to drive past that woman you were getting on with who blew you out because you didn't drive - preferably when she's shivering at a bus stop. Then you could be magnanimous and offer her a lift. ( Or possibly just give the royal wave with a smug smirk as you zoom past :twisted: ).
I'm probably chivalrous enough to give her a life, that's the kind of guy I am, as you know!

I just felt it was the right time to learn. I've always used expense as a (perfectly legitimate) excuse not to learn. But I don't really have that excuse any more. So I concluded the only reasons I have left are obstinacy, cutting off my nose to spite my face and being nervous about doing it. And none of those are valid reasons.

Also, when my folks were pestering me to drive it was someone else telling me what to do and therefore a bad idea, whereas now it's my idea and therefore a good idea!
Last Edit: 07 Apr 2017 04:08 by wake_up_bomb.

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 11 Apr 2017 13:37 #3907

• Hexhammer
  • ZONED OUT
  • Expert Boarder
  • Rank4
  • Thank you received: 1129
Wow, there's people posting on here. :D It was very quiet for a while... I'm stressed as heck, too many things happening at once and trying to somehow fit everything with work and rest is pain in the ass. I still like the work most of the time, just bit bored working on the same twelve hectar area of woods... We'll soon be out of there thankfully. My apartment had a plumbing problem, or the actual problem was on the other side of the house, but my side needed renovation too, first they said two weeks which ended up being three days so not much of a problem.

I have a problem with too many things going on, my work is exhausting to put it mildly and I need fuckton of rest every day. Six hours work in the forest, moving treetrunks by hand is like going to the gym every day. Works wonders on my health, I'm in the same shape as I was in last spring when I was lifting weights several times a week and I've only worked for one and half months... By this pace I'll be in top shape by the autumn without doing much else. That one I like a lot, saves me a lot of work with weights and bike and so on. But then I should somehow find energy for music. There's two recording sessions coming up this summer/early autumn and I have joined a black metal band as a live drummer. There's no tight deadlines so it ain't so bad. But regardless, a lot to do and so little energy to spare. Lets see, I always get more active when days get longer and weather warms up.

Then there's my bikes, the one I worked so much on suffered a brake failure, my own stupidity as I tested the limits of 1952 brake... The brakespring apparently broke and that caused the wheel to lock and the frame to bend so I need to replace the frame (ton of work wasted on the paintjob.) and fix the brake which is a no brainer piece of cake walk in a park. So I bought two old bicycles, both in ok condition, otherone will go for the project, other one is outside waiting for some adjustment and air to the tires and off I go. This time I'm early with it, lot of time to go ride... Just going to work will toll ten kilometers every day plus everything else on top of it. I guess I'll post some pictures when I get the project bike in some condition. I'm again replacing few parts and making it absolutely perfect this time.
The things you leave behind, you find in front of you.

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 11 Apr 2017 14:48 #3908

• Ian2day
  • ZONED OUT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Rank2
  • Thank you received: 195
:D I recently took an online theory test and passed all these years after passing my driving test. I've never even read the highway code! I guess that the cycling proficiency test I took when a child has stood me well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hexhammer

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 14 Apr 2017 16:38 #3909

• wake_up_bomb
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
Ian2day wrote:
:D I recently took an online theory test and passed all these years after passing my driving test. I've never even read the highway code! I guess that the cycling proficiency test I took when a child has stood me well.
Oh, yeah, I nearly forgot...just for future reference DVLA, I am never going to:

(a) own a caravan, tow a caravan, do anything related to a caravan;
(b) own a trailer, rent a trailer, attempt to transport anything via a trailer.

Stop asking me questions about them!

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 14 Apr 2017 16:41 #3910

• wake_up_bomb
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
Hexhammer wrote:
Six hours work in the forest, moving treetrunks by hand is like going to the gym every day. Works wonders on my health, I'm in the same shape as I was in last spring when I was lifting weights several times a week and I've only worked for one and half months... By this pace I'll be in top shape by the autumn without doing much else.
I think it's a great thing to do. Don't underestimate the fact that lots of people couldn't do it. My body would never stand up to it, particularly my back, regardless of my physical fitness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hexhammer

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 09 May 2017 00:42 #3911

• Space Bandit
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
Why are there 194 guests on the site (according to the information at the bottom of the page)?!
Hardly any posts these days.... but, if you're out there - hello! Sign up we don't bite unless you're a nob!

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 09 May 2017 22:08 #3912

• dubmeup
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
  • Thank you received: 2296
ummmm, no, I'm not gonna say it :D
"laws are unenforceable if the majority break them."-humanspirit,
"avoid the concept of an ambassador for truth altogether"-gilly.

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 15 May 2017 22:24 #3913

• Space Bandit
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
Some of you may remember a few years ago I was getting hassled by local scrotes and they threw a brick through my window narrowly missing me.
Just heard one of them has been battered and is now in hospital. Obviously I was upset to hear this and he in no way deserves to be treated like this. :D

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 19 May 2017 20:46 #3914

• dubmeup
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
Act like a thug.....

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 19 May 2017 23:34 #3915

• Space Bandit
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
dubmeup wrote:
Act like a thug.....

7 years on from his ASBO, still looks the same and acts the same.
I wonder what his relationship was like with his mother.... as with most people who have behavioural issues like this, I bet it was poor.
In some respects I can empathise and hope he finds some remedy.... but he's too thick to understand the nature of his problems or face the fact that he has them.
And, he hassled me... and knowing his nature made it easy for me not to seek revenge because ultimately he would end up with what has happened anyway.
This is Manchester.... you won't get away with doing stuff like that for very long.

C 71 Article 1031493 Image List Image List Item 0 Image
Last Edit: 19 May 2017 23:34 by Space Bandit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cantata

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 20 May 2017 12:18 #3916

• wake_up_bomb
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
The problem you have with these scrotes is that, firstly, as you say they have no self-awareness. And then, secondly, they either don't care what happens to them because their lives are inevitably shit, or else they just act as if they don't care because they think they're supposed to act that way. My hometown is full of them, and you can't really say to them "I appreciate your socio-economic situation, but that's not my fault. If it was up to me there would be a different system in place"!

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 09 Jun 2017 18:47 #3917

• cantata
  • ZONED OUT
  • Expert Boarder
  • Rank4
  • Thank you received: 1123
wake_up_bomb wrote:
The problem you have with these scrotes is that, firstly, as you say they have no self-awareness. And then, secondly, they either don't care what happens to them because their lives are inevitably shit, or else they just act as if they don't care because they think they're supposed to act that way. My hometown is full of them, and you can't really say to them "I appreciate your socio-economic situation, but that's not my fault. If it was up to me there would be a different system in place"!

I absolutely agree. It's a scandal (and utter tragedy) that human beings are left to live and be raised in such conditions that there is nothing for them other than some kind of Animal Life. Every single system around them has intentionally failed them: education, social services, housing, government, everything. And then they have this onus on them to somehow know how to go along nicely and be respectful to people and their cars, etc.

If we saw tigers being left in such careless conditions in a zoo, there would be outrage that it was having to survive how it could without any input from the zoo's masters. Yet for humans.... nothing. The police, the courts and legal personnel, the prisons and probation services all NEED these people bred and raised so, to ensure good business up ahead.

But, as Spacey points out, living with them around is no easy matter, and it's pretty difficult to have sympathy or empathy for them when it's your house and property they are attacking, and you and your family they are jeopardising. Pity they don't think of finding the politicians and making them pay for their dire circumstances. Pity we all don't!
There is no such thing as Thin Air: Thin Air is full of the particles of creation.

Take something that costs you nothing but effort;
And practice, practice, practice until you make it something fabulous.

"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
If he undaunted be....". (Beowulf)....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Bandit

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 13 Jun 2017 21:00 #3918

• Gilly
  • ZONED OUT
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Rank6
  • Psychic Assassin
  • Thank you received: 6506
Are you around Ian?

Just wondered how you're going on after our conversation the other day.

Keep your chin up my friend.
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 13 Jun 2017 22:28 #3919

• dubmeup
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
I was wondering the same thing.

Hi Ian :hi:

Post What's On Your Mind Right Now 13 Jun 2017 22:53 #3920

• cantata
  • ZONED OUT
  • Expert Boarder
  • Rank4
  • Thank you received: 1123
Also Hi from me too, Ian. :hi: It would be very good to hear from you.

I'm glad work is going great, dubs. I was circling the idea of going self employed again (but being a bit cowardly about it!) when I took the dog out for a walk..... :fresse: ... :D My day will dawn, lad, my day will dawn; but it's good to hear that yours has. YaY You! And how lovely that your mum is enjoying her retirement in wonderful Cornwall. Awwww. I ought to limp along there myself pdq :D
There is no such thing as Thin Air: Thin Air is full of the particles of creation.

Take something that costs you nothing but effort;
And practice, practice, practice until you make it something fabulous.

"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
If he undaunted be....". (Beowulf)....
Moderators: oioioi, psketti, batou
Time to create page: 0.770 seconds