Sanctum Zone

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: No-one should ever work! Fuck work!

No-one should ever work! Fuck work! 09 Mar 2017 22:17 #721

• dubmeup
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
  • Thank you received: 2296
I'm gonna have a vent too :D
Against better judgement, I agreed to do some sub contracting for a couple of weeks for someone I know from previous work. I've never walked off a site in my life...until today. Three and a half days in and I downed tools, packed up the van, wrote an invoice, handed it over and headed for the hills.

I now remember why I went self employed again, if I ever consider subbying again I demand to be shot :mad:
"laws are unenforceable if the majority break them."-humanspirit,
"avoid the concept of an ambassador for truth altogether"-gilly.
You must register to post here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cantata, Hexhammer, Space Bandit

No-one should ever work! Fuck work! 10 Mar 2017 22:34 #722

• Space Bandit
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
  • Thank you received: 2274
yep... rant time.
Nearly lost my rag at work ... how the fuck can I go to work and lose money?
Scum, subhuman scum.
OP is as true as ever.... FUCK WORK!
Set the controls for the heart of the earth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cantata, Hexhammer

No-one should ever work! Fuck work! 13 Mar 2017 02:24 #723

• Black Cloud
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
  • Go Boil An Egg....
  • Thank you received: 1227
Still waiting for a phone call, fuck em I got excepted one end for a driving course, its fucking free, or its $3000 + fecking arseholes they want to get people back into the "The Work Force" but no, they want me too get into debt ffs :mad:

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

I Speak Four Languages Sarcasm English Profanity, And Real Shit...

When we hang the capitalists they will sell us the rope we use.
Joseph Stalin
The following user(s) said Thank You: cantata, Hexhammer

No-one should ever work! Fuck work! 16 Mar 2017 18:25 #724

• Hexhammer
  • ZONED OUT
  • Expert Boarder
  • Rank4
  • Thank you received: 1129
Am I the only one here who's nearly happy at the current situation? Week two of my new job is almost done and I'm quite happy about it. Its no miracle really, 6 month deal, badly underpaid considering how physically demanding this stuff is. But excluding those things,I like it so far. Actually the physicality of the work is not a real problem, its lighter than my weight lifting routine was last year, doesn't cause pinched nerves to my arms but is still working wonders on my health.Five days a week, six hours outside constantly on the move doing stuff...

I have become a lumberjack as I expected it would end up, no idea for how long, summer will bring in other things to do. Its quite tough, not everybody could do this, we aren't piling small branches with a rake, but cutting down full grown trees and hauling HEAVY logs and trunks in the forest in places where machinery can't get to.. By hand most of the time, old school, the highest tech we have is a chainsaw.. If this would be a fair job, our pay should be double of what it is. Short days do compensate a bit. Bad side is that I'm tired from lack of sleep (need to get up at five-six in the morning.) and the work is pretty hard, finding energy to do other things in the evenings has become a challenge.

Still I wont complain about it, this beats the government sanctioned slave work in the workshops any time. I'm being treated like a decent person and not like a unruly teenager or a criminal. The people I work with are mostly nice, your typical hard working honest Finns, there's paper factory guys, lumberjacks, construction workers, the person who I work with has a long history at the state railroad company and so on. Good bunch to be with, there's not a single posh hipster or office rat around which I really appreciate.

There's only one guy who pisses me off, old dude who's constantly talking even if he has nothing to say, he looks like a bulldog and also drools like a dog. :barfonu: As a cherry on the cake he's constantly talking how tough the work is and yet he's doing next to nothing. Me and the railroad guy do about five times as much as that lazy smalltalk moron does. And he doesn't know how to listen, but he sure knows how to talk and yet say nothing. It pisses the heck out of me as when I work, I work, I like to do stuff and not just sit on my ass and talk about insignificant things. But on the other hand, that guy is pure comedy gold, like a character from a Finnish comedy show, talks about working all the time and he's carrying few pine needles when the people next to him carry hundred kilogram tree trunks. Damn good we don't seem to be in a hurry most of the time. :D
The things you leave behind, you find in front of you.
Last Edit: 16 Mar 2017 18:31 by Hexhammer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cantata, Ian2day

No-one should ever work! Fuck work! 19 Mar 2017 11:46 #725

• Space Bandit
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
  • Thank you received: 2274
“Earn a living.”

“Be practical.”

“Get a job.”

Odds are that you have heard these statements before. As an adult, we don’t need anyone to tell us these things. We tell ourselves. But there was a time when each of us heard these ideas for the first time. Do you remember?

Perhaps you heard it after you were asked, “What do you want to do when you grow up?” as if you weren’t something already. You might have responded “I want to play with horses,” or “I’d like to travel to the moon,” or maybe even “I want to help reduce the suffering in the world.” If you were young enough, your adult companions might have admired at your youthful innocence and purity. But if you were close to becoming an adult, the response was probably something like, “That’s nice but you need to be practical. You’re going to have to get a job to earn a living.”

And so we trade in our dreams of healing animals to become a plastic surgeon, dreams of surfing the open oceans to become an investment banker, dreams of simply being in harmony with our environment for the relentless push of doing something to earn a living.

You may feel the urge to stop reading because you know where I am headed with this. I am stoking a wound inside all of us living in Western society – the time each of us realized that either directly or indirectly, we were going to have to support ourselves by selling something to someone in order to survive. I know it hurts. I have the wound too.

This wound hurts even more because of its ramifications. Think about it. The reason some people do not have food to eat, the reason there is no cure for the ebola virus, the reason why we recycle fashion and design machines to break down just fast enough not to piss off the customer is because every time we do we enable someone else to “earn a living.” But when do we stop to ask the critical question and, more importantly, come to the natural conclusion that we simply don’t need everyone to “earn a living” anymore?

What Does "Earn A Living" Mean Anyway?

Think about the activities performed by our ancestors and people living tribal cultures. When they were not playing or acting leisurely, nearly everyone would be engaged in activities that were directly related to the survival of the group with food production being the primary focus. Surely, with all our modern technological advances, we should be able to accomplish what our ancestors were able to – meeting the basic human needs for all – with far more ease.

When the United States declared their independence in the late 1700s, ninety percent of Americans earned their living by growing food. The remaining ten percent were left to be the shopkeepers, blacksmiths, seamstresses, bankers, and all other professions. Today, less than one percent of the population is involved in food production, putting the vast majority in the position of needing to think of some new thing we can get people to buy. Instead of realizing the gift that automation could bring to the entire human race by alleviating the need to “earn a living”, we kept the charade of forcing people to invent new ways to do it. So what are some of those ways we are earning our living today?

Joel Comm made $400,000 by building a mobile app, the iFart that creates farting noises at the push of a button. Gary Dahl made $15 million in six months by selling pet rocks and Richard James made $250 million on his slinky invention. Jessica Vanessa figured out she could make more money making “twerking” videos online than she could educating children. The world spends over $500 billion every year trying to convince people that they need these new products and services, almost twenty times the cost of alleviating hunger. In light of the fact that 17 million children in the United States do not have enough food to eat, these kinds of stories of “earning a living” should stimulate some serious questions. Why must we continue to slave away at unnecessary jobs creating superfluous goods and services when our brothers and sisters can’t even get enough food to eat?

The Pressure To Survive

I don’t mean to be insensitive here. Everyone living in Western society is under a very real pressure, even if artificially manufactured, to earn a living. Not only does our survival depend on earning a living but it also influences, whether we like it or not, the respect we receive and, for many, is intimately linked to their self-worth. But set that aside for a moment and ask yourself this question.

Is what I do to “earn a living” really needed by society? In other words, could society get by without whatever I produce? I can honestly say that I have never held a job that was crucial to human survival. That is not true for everyone but I suspect if we are honest with ourselves, most of us would agree. What then is the purpose of our economy, if it is not to meet the needs of all people?

Well, our economy has a purpose. It is to maximize gross domestic product (GDP), a measurement of the sum total of all goods and services exchanged for money. The higher this number gets, so goes the theory, the better and happier our lives will be. This is the fundamental assumption underlying our programmed response – the need to earn a living – to how we spend our precious, limited time on this beautiful spaceship Earth floating through the galaxy.

So How Much Of The Economy Do We Really Need?

Well, it turns out that food production and distribution comprise about five percent of the overall economy. Energy production and distribution is just over three percent, most of which goes towards fueling the transportation of all these superfluous goods and moving us back and forth to our jobs designing, marketing, financing, manufacturing, shipping them. Even at its current levels of catastrophic waste and price gouging, the health care industry is just seven percent of GDP. What else do we need? The Internet? 0.3 percent. Veterinary services? 0.1 percent. When you add it all up, only fifteen percent of the economy is needed to meet our basic needs (and probably much less due to all the wasteful practices designed to increase revenue).

So if we only need fifteen percent of the economy, what makes up the other eighty-five percent? Amazingly, finance, insurance, real estate, rental, and leasing comprise nearly twenty percent of GDP. None of these services meet any real or tangible human need, but rather are part of the economic game we have invented. Another twelve percent of GDP are professional and business services, which exist to help people or companies design, market, finance, manufacture, and ship all those goods that help us to “earn a living.”

One could argue that we need the manufacturing (twelve percent) and construction (four percent) sectors of the economy as well. However, there is so much excess operational capacity of all the machines that we have already produced that we could easily find ways to share them. In fact, we already are. And given that there is five times the number of vacant homes as there are homeless people, we probably could stop building new houses too.

By looking at what comprises GDP, we can see that most of the economy is unnecessary and only exists due to this antiquated notion of the need to justify our existence in terms of what we can produce that others will buy. Not only that but all of this excess production and consumption (and the apparent need to secure the resources needed to keep it going) is the main driver of climate change, inequality, war, and all the other forms of deprivation and suffering in the world. All of this to fuel an economy that we don’t even need? What are we doing?

There Is Lots Of Work To Do, You Just Can't Profit From It

There really is so much work that needs to be done. It just isn’t the kind where it involves creating something to be consumed. We certainly need people to start growing food locally, to begin restoring damaged ecosystems, to spend time nurturing and raising children to become adults capable of dealing with their emotions in healthy ways. But you just aren’t going to convince a bank to loan you money to do these things. The banks will only do that if you will give even more money back to them. This highly limits the scope of what our economy can do.

We need an economic revolution – one that allows us to meet the needs of the entire world, not just those who managed to find a way to “earn a living.” Whereas two hundred years ago, it took nine out of ten people to work to provide enough food for the rest, today one out of a hundred can do the job. Through automation, we have been able to drastically increase our productive capacity while decreasing the human labor required in achieving it. So ingrained is this concept of “earning a living” that was a necessity throughout human history that we have failed to recognize that we could just stop, and instead share the increasingly small burden of providing material needs to all. Instead, we carry on with inventing new ways to “earn a living”.

“Earn a living.” What an interesting phrase. You must do something to earn your life. Your life is not something given to you, but rather something that must be justified by your contribution to it, measured in the form of income earned. As I sit on my porch and watch deer jump the fences people erect to protect their “property” and the squirrels gather the nuts that have freely fallen on the ground, I wonder if we will ever wake up to the reality of our situation, that we have already created an abundant world capable of providing for every human need. All we must do now is, collectively, to realize it.

chrisagnos.com/much-economy-actually-need/
Set the controls for the heart of the earth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cantata, Hexhammer, Ian2day

No-one should ever work! Fuck work! 19 Mar 2017 12:59 #726

• cantata
  • ZONED OUT
  • Expert Boarder
  • Rank4
  • Thank you received: 1123
That was a really interesting article thank you, Spacey.
There is no such thing as Thin Air: Thin Air is full of the particles of creation.

Take something that costs you nothing but effort;
And practice, practice, practice until you make it something fabulous.

"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
If he undaunted be....". (Beowulf)....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Bandit

No-one should ever work! Fuck work! 19 Mar 2017 14:10 #727

• wake_up_bomb
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
  • Thank you received: 4418
I wonder if we will ever wake up to the reality of our situation, that we have already created an abundant world capable of providing for every human need. All we must do now is, collectively, to realize it.
Not bloody likely.
The true measure of a man is not his intelligence or how high he rises in this freak establishment. The true measure of a man is this: how quickly he can respond to the needs of others and how much of himself he can give - Philip K. Dick.

No-one should ever work! Fuck work! 20 Apr 2017 10:41 #728

• Black Cloud
  • ZONED OUT
  • Gold Boarder
  • Rank5
  • Go Boil An Egg....
  • Thank you received: 1227
wake_up_bomb wrote:
I wonder if we will ever wake up to the reality of our situation, that we have already created an abundant world capable of providing for every human need. All we must do now is, collectively, to realize it.
Not bloody likely.

There's no money to be made in that, its divide and conquer all the way , the middle working class is getting eroded away, its basically the working poor and all the rest
I Speak Four Languages Sarcasm English Profanity, And Real Shit...

When we hang the capitalists they will sell us the rope we use.
Joseph Stalin

No-one should ever work! Fuck work! 28 Apr 2017 21:46 #729

• Gilly
  • ZONED OUT
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Rank6
  • Psychic Assassin
  • Thank you received: 6506
It's a relief to be able to say that I don't hate my job. That's the best I can do.

I don't like or enjoy it, and there is a long list of things I'd much prefer to be doing, but having had jobs that made me feel I was going to lose my sanity through boredom and frustration, it's definitely a relief to just be able to collect the means to shelter and feed my family without feeling desperate and encaged. (There's a red squiggly line under 'encaged' so I must have invented or misspelled that word- didn't think I had though :teef: ).

Count your lucky stars.

Lots of intelligent, conscientious people are denied even that little 'luxury'.

But I am bitter at being tied to the treadmill.

Even the equally unpalatable sister of that insufferable cock-sucker that is Boris Johnson, accurately likened life without the freedoms & privileges that money brings (though she was describing her view of life on benefits) to a battery chicken existence.

And you're spot on, BC, in saying the split's just working poor and the rest now. There are very few upper class, proportionally speaking, And amongst that few are the pissing politicians who seem hell-bent on widening the divide.

It feels good to speak of it. Such resentment may be impotent, yet focuses malign energy in their direction.. :AAAAHHHH: :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Bandit

No-one should ever work! Fuck work! 30 Apr 2017 20:56 #730

• Ian2day
  • ZONED OUT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Rank2
  • Thank you received: 195
Thanks for the article spacey. I read as much as my concentration would allow me at the moment.

No-one should ever work! Fuck work! 10 May 2017 15:58 #731

• Hexhammer
  • ZONED OUT
  • Expert Boarder
  • Rank4
I wonder if I'm loosing my sanity. I still like my job. Over two months now and its still pretty good.

And I got "promoted" on construction work. Lumberworks wont be done for some time now because birds are nesting and we went on to raking all sort of shite from sidewalks and parks etc. After a week of raking junk and doing all kinds of stupid random tasks I got lucky, there's a new ramp in making in the port nearby and the guy who's making that needed somebody to help with it as its way too much work for one person to finish in time. I don't know what I have done right, but my boss put me on it. Then I found out that the job will take over a month. My hours changed too, as my job is one of the Soviet of Europe slave jobs, I wont be paid for overtime, but I get extra days off without drop on my salary.. So now I work four days a week, eight hours a day and I get constant long weekend for quite some time.

The job itself is interesting, I have never done much construction stuff and this one includes lot of wood work and casting huge concrete slabs. We're building two casting molds, then cover them with fiberglass, add the iron meshes etc. and cast the concrete. The size is 3 x 5 meters so those things will take several tons of the stuff. They need to be cast upside down and then turned and set in place with a crane.

The guy I work with is a real pro, its bit hard to keep up with his pace some times, but his advice is golden. I'm learning new things every day. He's the typical good guy Finn, works hard, has quite a sense of humor and knows his job inside and out. He has also a very good way of teaching how to do it, advice first, then example, then I follow and if I fuck up he corrects me right away without being a dick about it.

Anyway, if I could just fix my pay to be what it should for this kind of job, that would be awesome. And its quite hard to do physical work outside when its snowing like heck. Oh yes, our lovely spring weather just keeps on pushing snow, ice, water and wind on us. Better pay would sure warm me up a bit. But I'm not complaining. This is the best job I've ever done so far. Real work after which you know you've really done something. And I bet that ramp will be the best in the whole port. When everything else is crumbling, that thing will be standing on its place. ;)
Last Edit: 10 May 2017 16:05 by Hexhammer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cantata

No-one should ever work! Fuck work! 09 Jun 2017 18:38 #732

• cantata
  • ZONED OUT
  • Expert Boarder
  • Rank4
  • Thank you received: 1123
Oh, I am pleased for you Hex. I hope something with the right pay and upward path can come of this for you. But, meanwhile, at least you are enjoying it, learning and working in with a decent guy. Good for you. :)
There is no such thing as Thin Air: Thin Air is full of the particles of creation.

Take something that costs you nothing but effort;
And practice, practice, practice until you make it something fabulous.

"...Wyrde saves oft the man undoomed
If he undaunted be....". (Beowulf)....

No-one should ever work! Fuck work! 28 Oct 2017 21:36 #733

• Hexhammer
  • ZONED OUT
  • Expert Boarder
  • Rank4
Oh the irony.

I used to be so much about appreciating my own time more than money... Things have changed quite a lot.

After I finished my previous job I talked about here a lot, I got one in a million chance and got a job from a big construction company who are renovating a dam and hydroelectric plant here in town. Very little experience, no education what so ever and I got in. I was helped by a construction guy from the county who just happens to be friends with the local boss of the said company and also with my employer who is the subcontractor there. And the guy from who I get my orders from just happens to be a childhood friend of a friend. My pay goes over 2k € per month when I do a bit of overtime. Its awesome strike of luck really. I have been able to get so much stuff I've wanted for a long time, mainly musical instruments, clothes and fishing gear. And I'm never running low on money. The downside is that the work is very hard, I mostly do rebar, cement cast and cleaning, building and tearing down stuff and so on. Its causing muscle inflamation which is causing pinched nerves on my arms. I'm going to see the doc about it next week. And I'm always working outside, no matter the weather and I'm also always tired and the weekends are full of everything else.

But its all good if I just get the nerve problem sorted. I like most of it actually and the people I work with are nice, there's the one asshole which you find in every job, but everybody else is fine. And the pay is sure worth the trouble. I wont be doing rebar for the rest of my life, that's for sure as its very very tough job to do. But constuction stuff, heck why not. Its a shitty job, but it pays.
Moderators: psketti, oioioi, batou
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds